How to Find the Energy of a Scattered Photon in a Moving Electron Frame?

In summary, the problem involves finding the energy of a scattered photon after colliding with an electron at a 90 degree angle. The energy of the incoming photon increases when boosted into the electron frame, and the standard Compton equation can be used to find the scattered photon's energy in the boosted frame. However, the angle will not be 90 degrees in the boosted frame due to a non-zero momentum component parallel to the boost direction. To transform the energy back into the initial frame, the Lorentz transformation equations can be applied to the 4-vector of energy and momentum. This will also give the scattered angle in the boosted frame.
mathman44

Homework Statement

Consider a photon scatter off an electron heading towards the photon. After the collision the photon is scattered at 90 degrees. Find the energy E of the scattered photon.

The Attempt at a Solution

Boosting into the electron frame the incoming photon energy increases from

[tex]E[/tex] to

[tex]E_{boost}=E*\gamma*(1+\beta)[/tex]. Then I can apply the standard compton equation to find the scattered photon energy in the boosted frame, provided that the scatter angle is also 90 degrees in the boosted frame (is this a legal move?).

[tex]E=\frac{E_{boost}}{1+\frac{E_{boost}}{m_e*c^2}}[/tex]

So far so good, but how do I transform the energy back into the initial frame? How will the photon energy change as I boost back to the initial frame?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mathman44 said:
Then I can apply the standard compton equation to find the scattered photon energy in the boosted frame, provided that the scatter angle is also 90 degrees in the boosted frame (is this a legal move?).
No, the angle will not be 90o in the boosted frame. In the boosted frame, the scattered photon will have a component of momentum parallel to the boost direction as well as a perpendicular component.
how do I transform the energy back into the initial frame? How will the photon energy change as I boost back to the initial frame?

The energy and momentum of the photon together make up a 4-vector. So, you can apply the Lorentz transformation equations to this 4-vector. This is also how you can get the scattered angle in the boosted frame.

Last edited:

Related to How to Find the Energy of a Scattered Photon in a Moving Electron Frame?

1. What is the Compton effect?

The Compton effect, also known as Compton scattering, is a phenomenon in which a photon of high energy collides with a stationary electron, resulting in the transfer of energy and momentum from the photon to the electron. This causes the electron to recoil and results in a shift in the wavelength of the scattered photon.

2. What is the significance of the Compton effect?

The Compton effect is significant because it provides evidence for the particle nature of light and supports the concept of photons. It also allows scientists to measure the wavelength of X-rays and gamma rays, which have very short wavelengths that cannot be measured with traditional methods.

3. How does the Compton effect relate to the motion of electrons?

The Compton effect is a result of the interaction between a photon and an electron in motion. The electron's motion affects the amount of energy and momentum transferred from the photon, resulting in a change in the scattered photon's wavelength. This effect is used in various fields, such as physics and medicine, to study the motion of electrons and understand their behavior.

4. What is the Compton wavelength?

The Compton wavelength is the characteristic length scale of the Compton effect, which is given by the ratio of Planck's constant to the mass of an electron. It represents the minimum distance at which the wave nature of an electron can be observed, and it plays a crucial role in quantum mechanics and particle physics.

5. How is the Compton effect used in medical imaging?

In medical imaging, the Compton effect is used to produce X-ray images of the body's internal structures. When X-rays are directed at the body, they are scattered by the body's tissues, and the scattered photons are detected by a specialized device. By analyzing the scattered X-rays, doctors can create images of the body's internal structures, providing valuable information for diagnosis and treatment.

Back