How to find the equivalent resistance?

In summary, after reinserting the 10Ω resistor between these two equivalent resistors, the node voltage will be 3.914 volts at 30Ω and 5.474 volts at 40Ω.
haha1234

Homework Statement

未命名.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)I think there are two pairs of resistances are in parallel,one pair is the 40ohm and 50ohm resistances,and the other pair is the 30ohm and 60ohm resistances.But I'm not to sure:oldfrown:
20150920_004505[1].jpg

So the Req I've calculate is 152.2ohm...
but I have no idea in how to calculate the Req in (b)...:sorry:
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
a) is wrong because the 10Ω is not in series ( and not in parallel ).

Regard the middle 5 resistors, supply them by a voltage V ( e.g. 100V ), calculate the the current, I, that is passing them. Then Req = V / I + 20Ω + 80Ω.

b) can be solved, using the same method.

(a): By using Kirchhoffs 1. law ( KCL ), you must find ( by 100V ):

I60Ω = 0.811456A
I30Ω = 1.551312A

Itotal = 2.36277A → R5 = 100V / Itotal = 42.3232Ω → Req = 142.3232Ω

This can also be calculated using Thevenin equivalents.

Last edited:
Hesch said:
(a): By using Kirchhoffs 1. law ( KCL ), you must find ( by 100V ):

I60Ω = 0.811456A
I30Ω = 1.551312A

Itotal = 2.36277A → R5 = 100V / Itotal = 42.3232Ω → Req = 142.3232Ω

This can also be calculated using Thevenin equivalents.
Um...I still cannot understand.
Could you explain why the total current is equal to I60Ω + I30Ω?
Why the value of the total current does not depend on other resistances?
And, how to find it by using Thevenin equivalents?:frown:
Thanks

Last edited:
haha1234 said:
Could you explain why the total current is equal to I60Ω + I30Ω?
Look at the diagram in #1: There are these two, and no other paths, for the current to pass the circuit. You could also say:

Itotal = I40Ω + I50Ω
haha1234 said:
Why the value of the total current does not depend on other resistances?
In reality there is no current at all, because no voltage is supplied. But to find the resistance of the circuit, you pick out 5 resistors and supply them by
V = 100V and find the resulting current, I. Then R = V / I.

You are just doing an experiment.
haha1234 said:
And, how to find it by using Thevenin equivalents?
Remove the 10Ω resistor.
Again supply 100V across (30Ω+40Ω) and across (50Ω+60Ω).

Calculate the node voltage between 30Ω and 40Ω. This is the Thevenin voltage as for these two resistors.
The Thevenin resistance is the parallel value of these two resistors

Calculate the node voltage between 50Ω and 60Ω. This is the Thevenin voltage as for these two resistors.

Now reinsert the 10Ω between this and this equvalent, face to face, and calculate the voltages at each end of the resistor.
I40Ω and I50Ω can now be calculated by means of ohm's law. R = V / (I40Ω + I50Ω).

Last edited:
Likes haha1234
Hesch said:
Look at the diagram in #1: There are these two, and no other paths, for the current to pass the circuit. You could also say:

Itotal = I40Ω + I50Ω

In reality there is no current at all, because no voltage is supplied. But to find the resistance of the circuit, you pick out 5 resistors and supply them by

Remove the 10Ω resistor.

Calculate the node voltage between 30Ω and 40Ω. This is the Thevenin voltage as for these two resistors.

Calculate the node voltage between 50Ω and 60Ω. This is the Thevenin voltage as for these two resistors.

Now reinsert the 10Ω between this and this equvalent, face to face, and calculate the voltages at each end of the resistor.
I40Ω and I50Ω can now be calculated by means of ohm's law. R = V / (I40Ω + I50Ω).
um…
So the 10ohm resistance is set to be a load resistance ?
But I still cannot understand …
There will be an open circuit after we remove the resistance(
Hesch said:

Itotal = I40Ω + I50Ω

Remove the 10Ω resistor.

Oh…Thanks
Btw I read some solutions from the internet
The solution shows that V1 is equal to V2
But if we supply 100V to them,R1and R2 will get 100V,while R3,R4 and R5 need to share 100V together so I think V1 and V2 may not be the same…:sorry:
I know I'm too stupid :frown:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-22-11-10-10.png
    Screenshot_2015-09-22-11-10-10.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 556
Problem (b) I can do in my head.

I get it wrong of course. But I do that with pen and paper anyway.

It's a fairly involved problem for a general circuit of that morphology. But here there are strong simplifying features - all the resistances are equal and it has a symmetry - so a general method is perhaps over-powered.

I take the overall potential difference A-C to be 1. To make it simple I'll let all those 9 individual resistances be 1 too. Because of the symmetry, the potential at B has got to be ½. (It must be ½ at D too, but I won't use that.) By the symmetry the current in EB must equal that in BF. (The previous statement also couldn't be true if this one were not also). There is, so to speak, no redistribution of current at node B. So the node B could equally well not be there, you can detach the upper E-F pathway from it and it makes no difference to any current or potential. So the problem reduces to one of two parallel pathways; the lower pathhway has a section with three parallel pathways within it. Not difficult. I get the circuit resistance to be 10/9. If all the individual resistances are R, that would be the circuit resistance is (10/9)R.
image.jpg

If and when this is right there are interesting extensions and generalisations I believe.

Last edited:
Likes haha1234

FAQ: How to find the equivalent resistance?

1. How do I calculate the equivalent resistance of a series circuit?

To calculate the equivalent resistance of a series circuit, simply add up all the individual resistances. This is because in a series circuit, the current flowing through each resistor is the same, so the total resistance is the sum of all the individual resistances.

2. What is the formula for calculating the equivalent resistance of a parallel circuit?

The formula for calculating the equivalent resistance of a parallel circuit is 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... + 1/Rn, where R is the equivalent resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances in the circuit. This formula takes into account the fact that in a parallel circuit, the voltage across each resistor is the same, so the total current is divided among the individual resistors.

3. How can I find the equivalent resistance of a complex circuit with both series and parallel components?

To find the equivalent resistance of a complex circuit, you can use a combination of the series and parallel resistance formulas. Start by simplifying any series or parallel components, and then use the final equivalent resistances to calculate the overall equivalent resistance of the circuit.

4. Can the equivalent resistance of a circuit ever be lower than the lowest individual resistance?

No, the equivalent resistance of a circuit can never be lower than the lowest individual resistance. This is because adding another resistor in parallel would always decrease the total resistance, and adding another resistor in series would always increase the total resistance.

5. How does the choice of resistors affect the equivalent resistance of a circuit?

The choice of resistors can greatly affect the equivalent resistance of a circuit. For example, using lower value resistors in a parallel circuit will result in a lower equivalent resistance, while using higher value resistors in a series circuit will result in a higher equivalent resistance. Additionally, resistors with different tolerances can also affect the overall equivalent resistance of a circuit.