How to Find the Exact Values of Cosine and Sine of Compound Angles

In summary, compound angles are a combination of two or more angles that are added or subtracted from each other. To solve compound angle problems, one can use trigonometric identities and formulas, such as the sum and difference identities, double angle identities, and half angle identities. These identities make it easier to express compound angles in terms of simpler trigonometric functions and solve for the unknown variable. While calculators can be used to solve compound angle problems, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and formulas. Compound angles have various real-life applications, including navigation, engineering, architecture, and physics.
zeion

Homework Statement

Angles x and y are located in the first quadrant such that sin x = 3/5 and cos y = 5/13.

a) Determine the exact value for cosx
b) Determine the exact value for siny

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what to do.
Am I supposed to do something with the angle a+b?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the expression sin2x + cos2x = 1, x being either alpha or beta :) .

oh jeez i feel dumb

FAQ: How to Find the Exact Values of Cosine and Sine of Compound Angles

What is a compound angle?

A compound angle is a combination of two or more angles, typically expressed in degrees or radians, that are added or subtracted from each other to form a new angle.

How do I solve compound angle problems?

To solve a compound angle problem, you can use trigonometric identities and formulas to break down the angles into simpler components, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, and then use algebraic techniques to simplify and solve for the unknown variable.

What are the common trigonometric identities used in compound angle problems?

Some common trigonometric identities used in compound angle problems include the sum and difference identities, double angle identities, and half angle identities. These identities allow you to express compound angles in terms of simpler trigonometric functions, making it easier to solve for the unknown variable.

Can I use a calculator to solve compound angle problems?

Yes, most scientific calculators have built-in functions for trigonometric identities, making it easier to solve compound angle problems. However, it is important to understand the concepts and formulas behind these functions in order to use them correctly.

What are some real-life applications of compound angles?

Compound angles have many real-life applications, such as in navigation, engineering, and architecture. For example, calculating the angle of a ship's course or the slope of a roof often involves using compound angles. They are also used in physics and other sciences to analyze the motion and forces of objects.