How to find the final velocity o

In summary, the question involves a bullet traveling at an initial speed of 80 m/s and making contact with a bulletproof vest that is 0.26 m thick. The bullet slows down at a rate of 9000 m/s2 and the final velocity is being asked for. The formula Vf^(2) = Vi^(2) + 2ad is likely to be used, but the correct answer has not been found. More information or the working is needed to identify where the mistake is being made.
Jessica Lewis
The question is:
a bullet that is shot from a target is traveling at an initial speed of 80 m/s and it is 6 m away from its target. The target is wearing a bullet proof vest that is 0.26 m thick. As the bullet makes contact with the vest is slows down at a rate of 9000 m/s2. What is the final velocity of the equation?I would assume that the equation used would be Vf^(2) = Vi^(2) + 2ad, however each time I attempt this question I get an answer that makes absolutely no sense.
So, please help me,
Thank you! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
EDIT: I realized I did the problem and, according to the guidelines, that isn't allowed! So, instead: for the acceleration, is 9000 m/s2 constant for the whole 6.26 m?

Last edited:
Jessica Lewis said:
each time I attempt this question I get an answer that makes absolutely no sense.
So, please help me,
Thank you! :)
how do you expect anyone to tell you where you are going wrong if you do not post your working?

Related to How to find the final velocity o

1. What is the formula for finding the final velocity?

The formula for finding the final velocity is v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

2. How do you calculate the final velocity if the acceleration is constant?

If the acceleration is constant, you can use the formula v = u + at to calculate the final velocity. Simply plug in the initial velocity, acceleration, and time values into the equation to find the final velocity.

3. Can the final velocity be negative?

Yes, the final velocity can be negative. A negative final velocity indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the initial velocity. This could happen if the object is slowing down or changing direction.

4. What is the difference between final velocity and average velocity?

The final velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time, while average velocity is the overall average of an object's velocity during a given period of time. Final velocity takes into account changes in velocity over time, while average velocity does not.

5. Can the final velocity be greater than the initial velocity?

Yes, the final velocity can be greater than the initial velocity. This can happen if the object is accelerating or if its direction changes. For example, if a car starts at rest and then accelerates to a high speed, the final velocity will be greater than the initial velocity.