How to find the impedance on this circuit

In summary, the conversation is about finding the total impedance for a circuit with unspecified values. The person is struggling to determine which components are in parallel and which are in series. They propose an incomplete equation and make assumptions about the configuration of the components. It is suggested that if the values are equal, the total impedance can be found by doubling the impedance of one RC combination. The question of whether the input or output impedance is needed is unclear.
Arabcha

Homework Statement

[/B]
I need to find the total impedance for this circuit below. No values are given so I just need to write out an equation.

Untitled.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a hard time deciding what is in parallel/series. I took a guess and came up with:

( R * 1/jwc / R + 1/jwc ) + ( R * 1/jwc / R + 1/jwc )

So I assumed the top two components are in parallel, same with the bottom two.

Physics news on Phys.org
Arabcha said:
I'm having a hard time deciding what is in parallel/series. I took a guess and came up with:

( R * 1/jwc / R + 1/jwc ) + ( R * 1/jwc / R + 1/jwc )
Parentheses are free, so use all that are needed. This expression is incomplete; it might mean something to you, to everyone else we can only guess. Except for some notable exceptions, whitespace means nothing in mathematical expressions.

So I assumed the top two components are in parallel, same with the bottom two.
Yes, and those pairs are themselves connected in series.

If the R's are equal, likewise the C's, then you could find total Z by just doubling the impedance of one RC combo.

Likes Arabcha
The question is not clear.
Do you speak about the INPUT impedance as seen by Vin or the OUTPUT impedance as seen by Vout?
(By the way: From your answer I can imagine what you mean - nevertheless, you should learn to ask clear questions).

Related to How to find the impedance on this circuit

1. What is impedance?

Impedance is a measure of the total opposition to current flow in an electrical circuit. It is made up of both resistance and reactance, and is measured in ohms (Ω).

2. How is impedance different from resistance?

Resistance is a measure of the opposition to current flow caused by the physical properties of a material, such as its length and cross-sectional area. Impedance also takes into account the effects of capacitance and inductance in a circuit, which can change depending on the frequency of the current.

3. What is the formula for calculating impedance?

The formula for calculating impedance is Z = R + jX, where Z is impedance, R is resistance, and X is reactance. This formula takes into account both resistance and reactance (capacitive or inductive) in a circuit.

4. How do I measure impedance on a circuit?

To measure impedance on a circuit, you will need a device called an impedance meter or an LCR meter. These devices send a small signal through the circuit and measure the resulting voltage and current to calculate the impedance. Make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully for accurate measurements.

5. Why is knowing impedance important?

Knowing the impedance of a circuit is important because it allows us to understand how the circuit will behave when different frequencies of current are applied. It also helps us design and troubleshoot circuits, as well as choose the right components for a specific application.