How to find the input resistance of an amplifier?

In summary: When you see this type of notation in an amplifier textbook or online, it means that the highlighted area is a simplified representation of how the amplifier works.It happens to be a simple equivalent circuit (or model) of a transistor. When you see this type of notation in an amplifier textbook or online, it means that the highlighted area is a simplified representation of how the amplifier works.
jean28
Physics news on Phys.org
Exercise 1.21.

Write KVL for the left hand loop. Note that ix is the same as ib.

gneill said:
Write KVL for the left hand loop. Note that ix is the same as ib.

Ok, that worked out pretty nicely! Thank you very much. So just to clarify, when I am doing this type of exercises I need to use KVL's all the time or does it depend? I am really new to amplifiers so I am trying to get where all this is coming from.

jean28 said:
Ok, that worked out pretty nicely! Thank you very much. So just to clarify, when I am doing this type of exercises I need to use KVL's all the time or does it depend? I am really new to amplifiers so I am trying to get where all this is coming from.

You use whatever circuit analysis method suits the given circuit arrangement -- choosing which method is simplest to use comes from practice. Here you wanted to find the ratio vx/ix, and those would be principle variables in the KVL for that loop.

I suppose you could apply KCL at node E to find the node voltage there, and then use that and vx to find ix, and then finally determine the ratio vx/ix, but it seems like more work to me.

gneill said:
You use whatever circuit analysis method suits the given circuit arrangement -- choosing which method is simplest to use comes from practice. Here you wanted to find the ratio vx/ix, and those would be principle variables in the KVL for that loop.

I suppose you could apply KCL at node E to find the node voltage there, and then use that and vx to find ix, and then finally determine the ratio vx/ix, but it seems like more work to me.

So I treat it as if I was analyzing any other circuit. Then what exactly does the blue highlighted area mean/represent?

jean28 said:
So I treat it as if I was analyzing any other circuit. Then what exactly does the blue highlighted area mean/represent?

It happens to be a simple equivalent circuit (or model) of a transistor.

FAQ: How to find the input resistance of an amplifier?

1. What is the input resistance of an amplifier?

The input resistance of an amplifier is a measure of how much resistance is present at the input of the device. It is typically measured in ohms and is an important parameter for understanding and designing amplifier circuits.

2. How do I calculate the input resistance of an amplifier?

The input resistance can be calculated by measuring the voltage across the input terminals and the current flowing into the input. The input resistance is then equal to the voltage divided by the current.

3. What factors affect the input resistance of an amplifier?

The input resistance of an amplifier can be affected by several factors, including the type of amplifier (e.g. operational amplifier vs. transistor amplifier), the input impedance of the amplifier's components, and the frequency of the input signal.

4. Why is the input resistance of an amplifier important?

The input resistance of an amplifier is important because it affects the performance and behavior of the amplifier circuit. It can impact the gain, bandwidth, and stability of the amplifier, making it a crucial factor to consider in amplifier design.

5. How can I increase the input resistance of an amplifier?

The input resistance of an amplifier can be increased by using high-impedance components in the amplifier circuit, such as high-value resistors or FET transistors. Additionally, using negative feedback can also increase the input resistance of an amplifier.