How to find the Location of the point P

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathlearn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point
In summary, on the other side of AB there are two possible locations for P, and if we extend the line CD there can be another location too!
mathlearn
A portion of a sketch drawn by a student to obtain the location of a point P which lies at a distance of 3cm from the given straight line AB and 5cm from the point A, is shown in the figure. Complete the sketch and mark the location of the point P.

View attachment 5966

point P which lies at a distance of 3cm from the given straight line AB

This is is already included.

And the point P lies 5 cm away from point A, This should mean the diagonal length from the point A to the point P should be 5cm.

So, Any Ideas on the location of point 'P'. (Smile)

Attachments

• Untitlhed.png
    Untitlhed.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 72
Mathematics news on Phys.org
mathlearn said:
A portion of a sketch drawn by a student to obtain the location of a point P which lies at a distance of 3cm from the given straight line AB and 5cm from the point A, is shown in the figure. Complete the sketch and mark the location of the point P.

This is is already included.

And the point P lies 5 cm away from P , So any Ideas on the location of point 'P'. (Smile)

Take a look at my avatar and find x? ;)

Alternatively, use a compass to draw a circle with radius 5 cm and A at its center.

I like Serena said:
Take a look at my avatar and find x? ;)

(Smile) (Giggle) Here It Is
I like Serena said:
Alternatively, use a compass to draw a circle with radius 5 cm and A at its center.

Hmm.. The intersection point of the arc from the point A with radius 5 cm on the line CD would be point P then?

mathlearn said:
(Smile) (Giggle) Here It Is

Hmm.. The intersection point of the arc from the point A with radius 5 cm on the line CD would be point P then?

Yep. (Nod)

I like Serena said:
Yep. (Nod)

Thank you so much ! (Smile)

Of course there are two other possible locations of $P$ on the other side of $AB$…

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Of course there are two other possible locations of $P$ on the other side of $AB$…

And if we extend the line CD there can be another location too!

So there can be four possible location for P two on CD & the other would be on a line 3 cm away & parallel to AB.

View attachment 6055

Many Thanks :)

Attachments

• Untitlhsded.jpg
    Untitlhsded.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 52

Related to How to find the Location of the point P

1. How do I determine the coordinates of point P on a graph?

To find the coordinates of point P on a graph, you can use the distance formula or Pythagorean theorem. This involves measuring the distance between point P and the x-axis and y-axis and using these values to calculate the coordinates.

2. Can I use GPS to locate point P?

Yes, GPS (Global Positioning System) can be used to determine the coordinates of point P on Earth's surface. However, this method may not be accurate for smaller scales or indoor locations.

3. How can I find the location of point P in a three-dimensional space?

In a three-dimensional space, the location of point P can be determined using three coordinates - x, y, and z. These can be found by measuring the distance from point P to three perpendicular planes.

4. What tools can I use to locate point P on a map?

Some tools that can be used to locate point P on a map include a compass, protractor, ruler, and GPS device. These tools help in measuring distances and angles, which are needed to determine the coordinates of point P.

5. Is there a mathematical formula for finding the location of point P?

Yes, the general formula for finding the location of point P is (x, y), where x represents the horizontal distance from the origin and y represents the vertical distance from the origin. This formula can be applied to different coordinate systems, such as Cartesian, polar, or spherical coordinates.