How to find the movements of lying person in bed

• Thread starter sivanantham
  • Start date
In summary: This would then enable you to identify specific movements more accurately. However, this would require additional equipment and expertise not typically found in a home environment. In summary, using only bed leg forces it is not possible to determine the movements of a person lying on the bed. However, by measuring other aspects of the person's movements, such as the center of mass and individual load cells, it is possible to make some generalizations about the type of movement being made.
sivanantham
1. Hi all,
I want to find what kind of movements a person(Ex: Hand Movement,Leg Movement,Hand+Leg Movements etc) is making when He/She is lying in the Bed. consider a rectangular Table(250*150 CM) which has 4 legs. we can only find the persons movement as a force on each legs

Physics news on Phys.org
sivanantham said:
1. Hi all,
I want to find what kind of movements a person(Ex: Hand Movement,Leg Movement,Hand+Leg Movements etc) is making when He/She is lying in the Bed. consider a rectangular Table(250*150 CM) which has 4 legs. we can only find the persons movement as a force on each legs

From the bed leg forces alone you cannot get the exact movement of individual limbs, just how the center of mass moves. But it is definitely possible to detect typical bed activities, using pattern matching.

Likes 1 person
Hi A.T. Thanks for the Reply.
I recorded 15 peoples movement activity(few are 5 secs and few are 10 secs) with the help of load sensors and i extracted around 15 features 3 from center of mass and individual load cells variance and % of difference etc, when i have a look at those features i am able to find the big difference between leg and hand movements but i am not able to find any differences in leg alone movements and Leg + hand movements. i don't have a knowledge in biomechanics & related physics. Is it possible to differentiate these type of movements using any pattern recognition techniques or a pattern matching.

sivanantham said:
1. Hi all,

As long as you remain restricted to measuring only the force on the bed's legs you will not be able to discriminate such complex movements of the person on that bed.

If you could open up your measuring to some other method, say overhead video, then you may expect to collect more exact data than could be obtained from four force sensors.

Likes 1 person
of the table.[/b]

As a scientist, there are a few methods that could be used to find the movements of a lying person in bed. One approach could be to use sensors or instruments that can detect and measure the force or pressure being applied to each leg of the table. This data can then be analyzed to determine the type and intensity of movements being made by the person on the bed.

Another approach could be to use video recording and analysis techniques to track the movements of the person's hands and legs. This method would require precise and accurate camera positioning and advanced software to track and analyze the movements.

It is important to note that both of these methods would require ethical considerations, as the person being studied should give their informed consent and their privacy should be respected.

Additionally, it may be helpful to consider the context and purpose of the study. Are there specific medical or behavioral conditions being studied? Are there specific movements or patterns that are of interest? These factors can help determine the most appropriate and effective methods for finding the movements of a lying person in bed.

In conclusion, finding the movements of a lying person in bed can be achieved through various scientific methods, but it is important to consider ethical considerations and the purpose of the study in order to determine the most suitable approach.

Related to How to find the movements of lying person in bed

1. How do you track the movements of a person in bed?

Tracking the movements of a person in bed can be done using various methods such as sensors, cameras, or motion detectors. These devices can be placed under the mattress or attached to the bed frame to detect movements.

2. What kind of sensors are used to detect movements of a person in bed?

There are different types of sensors that can be used to detect movements of a person in bed. Some common examples include pressure sensors, strain gauges, and accelerometers.

3. Is it possible to track the movements of a person in bed without them knowing?

Yes, it is possible to track the movements of a person in bed without their knowledge by using discreet sensors or cameras. However, it is important to obtain consent from the person being monitored before using such methods.

4. How accurate are the results obtained from tracking movements of a person in bed?

The accuracy of the results obtained from tracking movements of a person in bed depends on the type of sensor used and its placement. For example, pressure sensors placed under the mattress may be more accurate than cameras placed above the bed.

5. Are there any ethical concerns with tracking the movements of a person in bed?

Yes, there can be ethical concerns with tracking the movements of a person in bed, especially if they are not aware of it. It is important to consider privacy and consent before implementing any tracking methods and to use the data collected ethically and responsibly.