How to find the period of a Fourier Series

In summary: Not so: The function from -π to 0 is the mirror image of the function from 0 to π. In order to have a period of π, it needs to be a translate in this domain.
thecaptain90
Hi. My problem is that even though I can find the Fourier series, its coefficients etc. I have trouble determining the period of equation. For example let's say we have f(t) = t, t [itex]\in[/itex] [-pi,pi]. I thought that the period was 2pi but in the solution it says that the period is pi. This isn't the first time that I couldn't determine the period of an equation in order to find the Fourier series. Can someone make things clear for me?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are all the odd coefficients 0? If that is true, then the function is an even function, f(-x)= f(x), so that its values from [itex]-\pi[/itex] to 0 are identical to its values from 0 to [itex]\pi. That, together with the obvioius "periodic with period [itex]2\pi[/itex]" means it is periodic with period [itex]\pi[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
Are all the odd coefficients 0? If that is true, then the function is an even function, f(-x)= f(x), so that its values from [itex]-\pi[/itex] to 0 are identical to its values from 0 to [itex]\pi. That, together with the obvioius "periodic with period [itex]2\pi[/itex]" means it is periodic with period [itex]\pi[/itex].

Not so: The function from -π to 0 is the mirror image of the function from 0 to π. In order to have a period of π, it needs to be a translate in this domain.

thecaptain90 said:
Hi. My problem is that even though I can find the Fourier series, its coefficients etc. I have trouble determining the period of equation. For example let's say we have f(t) = t, t [itex]\in[/itex] [-pi,pi]. I thought that the period was 2pi but in the solution it says that the period is pi. This isn't the first time that I couldn't determine the period of an equation in order to find the Fourier series. Can someone make things clear for me?
Thanks.

The statement of the problem needs to give you enough information to determine the period. In your example, if the FS it to represent the function on (-pi,pi), its period must be at least 2pi. But unless you state that the given formula represents one period, you can't say for sure what FS you are talking about. For example, if you take g(t) = t on (-2pi,2pi) and write a 4pi periodic FS for it, it will equal your f(t) on (-pi,pi).

FAQ: How to find the period of a Fourier Series

1. What is a Fourier Series?

A Fourier Series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function using a combination of sinusoidal functions. It is used to decompose a complex periodic function into simpler components that can be easily analyzed.

2. How do you find the period of a Fourier Series?

The period of a Fourier Series can be found by calculating the fundamental period, which is the smallest interval over which the function repeats itself. This can be done by finding the greatest common divisor of the periods of all the sinusoidal functions in the series.

3. Can any function be represented by a Fourier Series?

Yes, any function that is periodic and has a finite number of discontinuities can be represented by a Fourier Series. However, the accuracy of the representation may vary depending on the complexity of the function.

4. How do you calculate the coefficients of a Fourier Series?

The coefficients of a Fourier Series can be calculated using the Fourier Series formula, which involves integration of the function over one period. Alternatively, they can be found using the Fourier Series table or by using computer software.

5. What is the significance of the Fourier Series in science?

The Fourier Series has many applications in science, particularly in the fields of physics, engineering, and signal processing. It is used to analyze and manipulate periodic signals, such as sound waves and electromagnetic waves, and has been instrumental in advancements in these fields.