How to Find the Projection of a Force Along the Y-Axis in 3D?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the projection of a force vector in three dimensions onto the y axis. The force vector is F=600N(cos120i+cos60j+cos45k) and the projection is found using a dot product with a unit vector. The correct answer is 300.
pearss

Homework Statement

I have a force in three dimensions such that:
F=600N
Alpha(angle with x axis) = 120
Beta(angle with y axis) = 60
Omega(angle with z axis) = 45

I'm to find the projection of F along the y axis.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the force vector for this force by

F=F(cos120i+cos60j+cos45k)
F=600N(-.5i+.5j+.707k)
F= -300i+300j+424.2k

now i know to use a dot product between the force vector and the unit vector of the vector that I'm trying to find a projection onto...but since the vector is the y-axis I'm unsure about what to do from here.

I thought that u_OY = oy/magnitude oy

0i+j+0k / 1 = j

and a dot product between this and my force vector would just give me the y component of that force vector...300.

but I'm pretty sure this is wrong. does anybody have any hints? Thanks much

Physics news on Phys.org
pearss: Your answer is correct. Nice work.

Thanks for the comfirmation nvn

FAQ: How to Find the Projection of a Force Along the Y-Axis in 3D?

1. What is statics?

Statics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of forces acting on objects at rest or in a state of constant motion.

2. What are force projections in statics?

Force projections in statics refer to the process of breaking down a force into its components along different axes or directions. This allows for a more detailed analysis of the force and its effects on an object.

3. How are force projections calculated?

Force projections are calculated using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions help determine the magnitude and direction of the components of a force along different axes.

4. What is the importance of force projections in engineering?

Force projections play a crucial role in engineering as they allow for the analysis and design of structures and machines. By breaking down forces into their components, engineers can ensure that the structures they design can withstand the forces acting on them.

5. Can force projections be negative?

Yes, force projections can be negative. A negative force projection indicates that the component of the force is acting in the opposite direction of the positive axis. This is important to consider in calculations and can affect the overall stability and equilibrium of a system.

Back