How to Find the Sum of a Geometric Series with Variables?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Spencer23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometric
In summary, the individual is asking for help with finding the sum of the first 8 elements in a geometric series with letters involved. The normal formula for finding the sum is mentioned and it is confirmed that it can be used in this case. The formula is given as a1(1-r^n)/1-r. An alternative method of solving the problem without the formula is also provided.
Spencer23
Hey,

Sorry if I am in the wrong part of the forums not sure where this question goes. I am having trouble with a geometric series that has letters involved. I understand the forumla for finding the sum of first n elements with just numbers. However the series i have is ..

a1 = -5, a2 = -5x, a3 = -5x^2...

How do i go about finding the sum of the first 8 elements with the normal formula for doing so? Which I am under the impression is ...

a1(1-r^n)/1-r

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Spencer23 said:
Hey,

Sorry if I am in the wrong part of the forums not sure where this question goes. I am having trouble with a geometric series that has letters involved. I understand the forumla for finding the sum of first n elements with just numbers. However the series i have is ..

a1 = -5, a2 = -5x, a3 = -5x^2...

How do i go about finding the sum of the first 8 elements with the normal formula for doing so? Which I am under the impression is ...

a1(1-r^n)/1-r

Hi Spencer23! Welcome to MHB! :)

You are entirely correct.
So with $a_1=-5$, $n=8$, and $r=x$, we get:
$$a_1 + a_2 +...+a_8 = -5 \cdot \frac{1-x^8}{1-x}$$

If you wanted to work the problem without a formula, you could state:

\(\displaystyle S=-5-5x-5x^2-5x^3-5x^4-5x^5-5x^6-5x^7=-5\left(1+x+x^2+x^3+x^4+x^5+x^6+x^7\right)\)

Now, multiply both sides by $x$:

\(\displaystyle Sx=-5\left(x+x^2+x^3+x^4+x^5+x^6+x^7+x^8\right)\)

If we subtract the first equation from the second, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle S(x-1)=-5\left(x^8-1\right)\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle S=-5\frac{x^8-1}{x-1}=-5\frac{1-x^8}{1-x}\)

Nice answer!

MarkFL said:
If you wanted to work the problem without a formula, you could state:

\(\displaystyle S=-5-5x-5x^2-5x^3-5x^4-5x^5-5x^6-5x^7=-5\left(1+x+x^2+x^3+x^4+x^5+x^6+x^7\right)\)

Now, multiply both sides by $x$:

\(\displaystyle Sx=-5\left(x+x^2+x^3+x^4+x^5+x^6+x^7+x^8\right)\)

If we subtract the first equation from the second, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle S(x-1)=-5\left(x^8-1\right)\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle S=-5\frac{x^8-1}{x-1}=-5\frac{1-x^8}{1-x}\)

Hi there,

I can provide some guidance on how to approach this problem. First, it's important to understand the concept of a geometric progression. In a geometric progression, each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant value, called the common ratio. In your case, the common ratio is -5x.

To find the sum of the first n terms in a geometric progression, there are a few different formulas you can use. One option is the formula you mentioned, which is a1(1-r^n)/1-r. In this formula, a1 represents the first term in the series, r represents the common ratio, and n represents the number of terms you want to sum.

In your case, a1 = -5, r = -5x, and n = 8. So, you can plug these values into the formula and solve for the sum of the first 8 terms.

Another option is to use the formula Sn = a1(1-r^n)/(1-r), where Sn represents the sum of the first n terms. In this formula, a1 and r have the same meaning as before, but the value of n is one less than the number of terms you want to sum. In your case, n = 7.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your problem!

Related to How to Find the Sum of a Geometric Series with Variables?

1. What is a geometric progression?

A geometric progression is a sequence of numbers where each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant value called the common ratio. For example, the sequence 2, 6, 18, 54, ... is a geometric progression with a common ratio of 3.

2. How do you find the common ratio in a geometric progression?

The common ratio in a geometric progression can be found by dividing any term by the previous term. This means that if we have a geometric progression with the first term a1 and the next term a2, the common ratio is given by a2/a1.

3. Can a geometric progression have a negative common ratio?

Yes, a geometric progression can have a negative common ratio. This means that each term in the sequence will have a different sign (positive or negative) but the magnitude of the terms will follow a pattern determined by the common ratio.

4. How do you find the nth term in a geometric progression?

The nth term in a geometric progression can be found using the formula an = a1 * rn-1, where a1 is the first term and r is the common ratio. This means that to find the nth term, we raise the common ratio to the power of n-1 and multiply it by the first term.

5. What is the sum of a geometric progression?

The sum of a geometric progression can be found using the formula Sn = a1 * (rn - 1) / (r - 1), where a1 is the first term, r is the common ratio, and n is the number of terms. This formula is derived by multiplying the geometric progression by (r-1) and subtracting the original progression, resulting in a finite geometric series which can be easily summed.