How to find the torque constant of BLDC motor?

In summary: R is the resistance between the stator and rotor (measured in ohms), and La is the inductance of the rotor.
AFZAL AMANULLAH
Hello Friends,
I have used in-wheel BLDC motor for my experiment. In this type of motor BLDC motor inbuilt on wheel. This wheel is a part of electric scooter. I wated to find the value of torque constant and back emf constant. Also how to measure torque for a selected current.
Please help me.
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is the motor manufacturer, and part number known? The easiest way is to pull them from motor specifications.

Torque constant is the relationship between torque and current (Kt=Torque/Ampere). Measure generated torque, and the amount of current required to generate it. Divide.
AFZAL AMANULLAH said:
how to measure torque

One way to measure stall torque is to do something similar to what was done here ...

... but use a spring scale instead of a weight.

Alternatively, connect the motor shaft directly to a torque wrench, and read it directly.
If necessary, a prony brake can be devised to measure rotating torque.

Back EMF is generated by rotor/stator interaction whenever the rotor is turning. Connect the BLDC motor-under-test to an external source of rotational motion, measure shaft speed, and generated stator voltage.

This application note ought to be helpful.

In BLDC motor is Kt = Ke ?

how to measure R, La ?
My hub motor is attached herewith.

In-wheel Motor.jpg
In-wheel Motor.jpg
Inwheel motor.jpg
Inwheel motor.jpg

AFZAL AMANULLAH said:
In BLDC motor is Kt = Ke ?
Ideally yes, but in practice, probably not.

What units are Kt and Ke in?
Kt=Nm/A (Nm=Newton-meters; A=Amperes)
Ke=RPM/V (RPM=Revolutions per minute; V=Volts). Note: Ke may be stated as the reciprocal (Volts/RPM).

Look up the specs for your motor, or another one in your size and power range to get a feel for what values make sense.
For instance, for the Xnova 4025-670KV 2.5Y motor, Ke is 670 RPM/V (0.00149 V/RPM), and Kt is 0.0143 Nm/A.

AFZAL AMANULLAH said:
how to measure R, La ?
An ohmmeter with a low resistance range (or a milliohmmeter) and LCR meter come in handy.

Related to How to find the torque constant of BLDC motor?

1. What is a torque constant in a BLDC motor?

The torque constant, also known as the motor constant, is a measurement of the relationship between the motor's electrical input and its resulting mechanical output torque. It is typically represented by the symbol Kt and is expressed in units of Newton-meters per Ampere (Nm/A).

2. Why is it important to know the torque constant of a BLDC motor?

Knowing the torque constant of a BLDC motor is important because it allows for accurate control of the motor's speed and torque. It also helps in determining the motor's power output and efficiency.

3. How can I calculate the torque constant of a BLDC motor?

The torque constant of a BLDC motor can be calculated by dividing the motor's stall torque (the maximum torque it can produce when the rotor is stationary) by the motor's rated current (the maximum current it can handle without overheating). This calculation can be done using a dynamometer or by using the motor's specifications provided by the manufacturer.

4. Can the torque constant of a BLDC motor change over time?

Yes, the torque constant of a BLDC motor can change over time due to wear and tear or changes in the motor's operating conditions. Therefore, it is important to regularly test and recalibrate the motor to ensure accurate measurements.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the torque constant of a BLDC motor?

Yes, the torque constant of a BLDC motor can also be affected by the motor's temperature, air gap, and winding resistance. These factors can cause the motor's electrical and mechanical properties to change, resulting in a different torque constant. It is important to consider these factors when calculating and using the torque constant of a BLDC motor.