How to find the volume ratio of two tanks

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two pressurized tanks, one larger and one smaller. The goal is to find two ways to measure the volume ratio of the larger tank to the smaller one. One method involves using the equation V1/V2 = P2/P1, assuming an isothermal process. The other method, suggested by the conversation participants, is the Burnett expansion method. However, there is limited information available on this method.
GBA13

Homework Statement

I have a problem:
So one tank is pressurised and then a pipe connecting this tank to a smaller one is opened so air can flow into the smaller tank. You then wait for the pressure to settle and read some pressure for each cylinder values.

I need to find two ways to measure the volume ratio of the larger tank to the smaller one. I think I've got one but not another

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think you can consider it an isothermal process as the gas temp stays constant and this results in the equation to get V1/V2 = P2/P1. But I'm really stuck on how to find another way to do it.

Could anyone offer me a hand?

Thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe an adiabatic process?

Can you post the exact problem statement please?

Really that was about it, we pressurised the first container to about 130 kPA and then allowed the two pressures in both containers to settle. The pressure in the big tank dropped to about 121 kPa and the smaller one increased to about 119 kPa. Also the temperature stayed constant so I don't think it could be adiabatic. Sorry if this isn't clear but that is really all that we did and all the data we where told to collect.

See "Burnett expansion."

Bystander said:
See "Burnett expansion."

I googled Burnett expansion but there isn't really anything on it, I keep on getting stuck at pay walls!

Wow! I see what you mean. Did find one --- "Properties of Water and Steam: Proceedings of the 11th International ..." that shows enough text to tell you what the Burnett method is about.

Related to How to find the volume ratio of two tanks

1. What is the formula for finding the volume ratio of two tanks?

The formula for finding the volume ratio of two tanks is V1/V2, where V1 is the volume of the first tank and V2 is the volume of the second tank.

2. How do I measure the volume of each tank?

To measure the volume of each tank, you will need to use a measuring tool such as a ruler or measuring tape to determine the length, width, and height of each tank. Then, use the formula for the volume of a rectangular prism (V = lwh) to calculate the volume of each tank.

3. Can I use the same units for both tanks when calculating the volume ratio?

Yes, it is important to use the same units for both tanks when calculating the volume ratio. This will ensure that your ratio is accurate and consistent.

4. What does the volume ratio represent?

The volume ratio represents the comparison of the volume of one tank to the volume of another tank. It can be used to determine the capacity or fill level of each tank.

5. How can I convert the volume ratio into a percentage?

To convert the volume ratio into a percentage, simply multiply the ratio by 100. This will give you the percentage of the first tank's volume in relation to the second tank's volume.