How to find the weight of an object given the force

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the weight of a heavy wooden door that requires 400N of force to lift and open. Suggestions are made to use the equation F=ma and to consider taking moments of forces about the hinge and drawing a free body diagram. It is also mentioned that the weight may work out to be twice the amount needed to open the door.
kelcijade

Homework Statement

An old, heavy wooden door leads to a basement storm cellar. If it requires 400N to lift the door by its handle and swing it open, what is the Weight (in N) of the door itself? (Also, there is a picture that shows from the hinge to the handle is 1.6m)

Homework Equations

F=ma ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I usually get stuck on the easiest of problems because I over think them. Would I just use the F=ma formula? Plugging it in as: 400N=m(10m/s)? (My teacher allows us to use 10 instead of 9.8 for acceleration). If so, the mass would come out to be 40kg which in turn is 400N.

I would appreciate the help if I did this wrong. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with momentum?

mishek said:
Are you familiar with momentum?

My mistake, acceleration is m/s^2. It's velocity that is just m/s which is included in calculating momentum.. P=mv. Do I use this formula somehow?

You should consider taking moments of forces about the hinge and assume that the door is initially raised very slowly and is in equilibrium ( not accelerating) during the initial force application. First identify the forces acting on the door before applying the torque equilibrium equation.

PhanthomJay is right. It would help to draw a free body diagram. You will also have to either know where the CG of the door is, or assume it to be in the center of the door. If that be so, the weight will work out to twice that required to open it. (Drawing the FBD and working the equations in my head. You might want to check me by doing it on paper.)

Related to How to find the weight of an object given the force

1. How do you calculate the weight of an object given the force?

The weight of an object can be calculated by dividing the force acting on the object by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). This can be expressed as W = F/g, where W is weight, F is force, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. Can you use any unit of force to find the weight of an object?

Yes, as long as the unit of force is consistent with the unit of acceleration due to gravity. For example, if the force is measured in Newtons, the acceleration due to gravity must also be measured in Newtons (9.8 N/kg).

3. Is the weight of an object the same as its mass?

No, weight and mass are not the same. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Therefore, an object's weight can vary depending on its location (e.g. weight on Earth vs. weight on the moon), but its mass remains the same.

4. How can you determine the weight of an object without knowing the force?

If the object is at rest or moving at a constant velocity, the weight can be calculated by using the object's mass and the acceleration due to gravity. The formula would be W = mg, where m is the mass of the object and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. Can you use this method to find the weight of an object in space?

The formula W = mg can still be used in space, but the value for g would be different. In space, the acceleration due to gravity is much smaller than on Earth, so the weight of an object would also be smaller. This is because weight is dependent on the force of gravity, and the force of gravity is dependent on the mass of the planet or celestial body. In space, the mass of the planet or celestial body is much smaller than Earth's, resulting in a smaller force of gravity and therefore a smaller weight for objects on that surface.