How to Find v1 and v2 Using Nodal Analysis?

• Thread starter circuitaki
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nodal
In summary, Kirchoff's current law states that the total current flowing through a node (i.e. the node with the most positive voltage) is the sum of the currents flowing through each of its branches.
circuitaki
hi dears,

kindly tell me the complete procedre to find out the v1 and v2
v1= -145/8

v2 = 5/2

I have tried it and I reach here

Apply Source transformation theorem.The 5A and 3ohms &2 ohms are converted into single voltage source 25V ( 5A*3+2) in series with 5ohms(3+2).But the positive terminal connected to ground pin.
Similarly 2A and 4ohms are converted into single voltage source 8V( 2A*4ohm) in series with 4 ohm resistor
hhow to go more further I am confuse and am until here am I right or wrong

Attachments

• nodal.jpg
    nodal.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 452
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums!

You'll probably get more benefit out of Physics Forums if you become more familiar with the forum rules. Scroll down to the section on Homework Help here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374

In particular, note that it says:

You MUST show that you have attempted to answer your question in order to receive help. You MUST make use of the homework template, which automatically appears when a new topic is created in the homework help forums.
and
On helping with questions: Any and all assistance given to homework assignments or textbook style exercises should be given only after the questioner has shown some effort in solving the problem. If no attempt is made then the questioner should be asked to provide one before any assistance is given. Under no circumstances should complete solutions be provided to a questioner, whether or not an attempt has been made.

Hope that helps! Show an attempt at solving those homework problems, and then people will be willing to help out.

Your subject line says "using nodal". This problem is easy to solve using the nodal method, and you shouldn't do any source transformations.

Do you know what Kirchoff's current law (KCL) is?

What you need to do is write the KCL equations for the two nodes. If you will make an attempt to do that and show your work, then you will get some more help if you need it.

FAQ: How to Find v1 and v2 Using Nodal Analysis?

1. What is nodal analysis and how is it used in finding v1 and v2?

Nodal analysis is a method used in circuit analysis to determine unknown voltages and currents within a circuit. It is based on the principle of Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) which states that the algebraic sum of the currents meeting at a node (junction) in a circuit is equal to zero. By applying KCL at different nodes in a circuit, we can find the unknown voltages, including v1 and v2.

2. How do you choose the nodes to analyze in order to find v1 and v2?

The nodes to analyze are usually chosen based on the complexity of the circuit. In general, it is best to choose nodes that are connected to the most components or have the most unknown voltages. This will help reduce the number of equations needed to solve for the unknowns.

3. Can nodal analysis be used for both DC and AC circuits?

Yes, nodal analysis can be used for both DC (direct current) and AC (alternating current) circuits. However, for AC circuits, the analysis becomes more complex as it involves the use of complex numbers and phasors.

4. What are the limitations of nodal analysis in finding v1 and v2?

Nodal analysis can only be used for linear circuits (circuits with linear components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors) and cannot be applied to circuits with nonlinear components such as diodes and transistors. It also assumes that the circuit is in steady-state, meaning that all transient effects have died out.

5. Are there any alternative methods to nodal analysis for finding v1 and v2?

Yes, there are other methods such as mesh analysis and superposition that can also be used to find unknown voltages in a circuit. These methods may be more suitable for certain types of circuits and can be used as an alternative to nodal analysis.