How to find values of a variable of a plane

In summary, the conversation is about finding a value for "a" that will result in nontrivial solutions for a system of equations involving three planes. The person is unsure if they are approaching the problem correctly and acknowledges that it may be a difficult task without knowledge of Linear Algebra.
pisces93

Homework Statement

I am given 3 planes

1) (3-a)x-2y-4z=0
2)-2x-(2+a)y+6z=0
3) 4x+6y-(1+a)z=0

The Attempt at a Solution

So what i did was i expanded the equation

1) 3x-xa-2y-4z=0
2)-2x-27-ya+6z=0
3)4x+6y-z+az=0

and i used the elimination method using

3x-xa-2y-4z=0
-2x-27-ya+6z=0

what i got was a= -10y+10z / 2x-3y

Now i do not know what to do next, i do not even know if i am doing this right can someone help
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you trying to do? I think you are trying to find a value of "a" for which there are nontrivial solutions to this system of equations. This is a very difficult question that you have asked, infeasable I think with precalculus math.

I'll look at it some more though.

Hmm, unless you know Linear Algebra, give this one a miss.

Last edited:

FAQ: How to find values of a variable of a plane

1. How do I determine the value of a variable in a plane?

The value of a variable in a plane can be determined by using the coordinates of the point on the plane where the variable is located. Plug in the coordinates into the equation of the plane and solve for the variable.

2. Can I use any point on the plane to find the value of a variable?

Yes, any point on the plane can be used to find the value of a variable as long as the coordinates of the point are known and it lies on the plane.

3. What if the plane is not in standard form?

If the plane is not in standard form, you can use the formula Ax + By + Cz + D = 0 to rewrite the equation in standard form and then proceed to find the value of the variable.

4. How do I know if my solution is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging in the coordinates of the point into the original equation of the plane. If the equation is satisfied, then your solution is correct.

5. Can I find the value of a variable if I only know the slope of the plane?

No, knowing the slope of the plane is not enough to find the value of a variable. You also need at least one point on the plane or another equation that the plane satisfies in order to solve for the variable.