How to Fix Sagging Soccer Goals: Tips and Tricks

• Thread starter stryped
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a soccer goal made from 4 inch drainage pipe that has started to sag due to its length of 24 feet. The goal is used for both shooting and goalkeeping practice and needs to be moved for lawn maintenance. Possible solutions suggested include rotating the goal and adding couplings, using a support underneath, or using a similar bar feature as seen in a video of a miniature goal.
stryped
A few years ago I built a soccer goal for my son out of 4 inch drainage pipe. It is regulation size which I believe is about 24 ft long and 8 ft tall. It has served okay for his practices but the top crossbar has started to Sag due to the long expanse 24 feet. Any easy or ingenious way to fix the sagging? Like a guy wire or something? I don't have a tree or anything to attach it to so it needs to work with just the goal itself. Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
1565265729073.png

Or replace the horizontal pipe which worked for a while or just prop up the middle with some wood? Is the goal for practicing shooting on goal or practicing being a goalie? Do you need to move it?

Can you stuff a 2x4, metal pipe or something similar through the tube to straighten and stiffen it?

Last edited:
Two ideas:
1) Saw it off near the ends, rotate 180 degrees, then add a coupling at each end. It will now bow upwards and gradually sag to level.

2) Shove a support under the middle whenever it is not in use. Make the support long enough to bow it upwards far enough to start developing a reverse sag.

Here's a video of a miniature goal but it has an interesting bar feature that could support your 24 ft bar.

Spinnor said:
View attachment 247841

Or replace the horizontal pipe which worked for a while or just prop up the middle with some wood? Is the goal for practicing shooting on goal or practicing being a goalie? Do you need to move it?
Its for both. I do need to be able to move it to mow around it...

FAQ: How to Fix Sagging Soccer Goals: Tips and Tricks

1. Why is my soccer goal sagging?

There are a few potential reasons for a sagging soccer goal. It could be due to wear and tear over time, improper installation, or being exposed to harsh weather conditions. It could also be caused by using the wrong size or type of net for the goal.

2. How can I fix a sagging soccer goal?

The best way to fix a sagging soccer goal is to reinforce the frame with additional support, such as adding extra bars or using tension rods. You can also replace the net with a stronger and more durable material to prevent sagging in the future.

3. Can I prevent my soccer goal from sagging?

Yes, there are several steps you can take to prevent your soccer goal from sagging. Regularly inspect and maintain the goal, use the correct size and type of net, and avoid leaving the goal exposed to extreme weather conditions. Proper installation and reinforcement can also help prevent sagging.

4. Is it safe to play with a sagging soccer goal?

No, it is not safe to play with a sagging soccer goal. A sagging goal can collapse or cause the net to fall on players, potentially causing injuries. It is important to address any sagging issues before using the goal for games or practices.

5. How often should I check for sagging in my soccer goal?

It is recommended to check for sagging in your soccer goal at least once a month, especially if it is used frequently. Regular inspections can help identify any potential issues early on and prevent them from becoming more severe. Additionally, make sure to check the goal after any severe weather or heavy use.