How to Fix Word Index Errors in MATLAB?

In summary, the problem is to create a function that modifies the input Index by adding in words until all unique words are contained in the output. This function, called InsertDoc, takes in three inputs: Index, which is a struct array containing information about unique words, newDoc, which is a cell array of words, and DocNum, which is a number representing the document number. The function loops through each element of newDoc and checks if the word is already present in Index. If the word is not present, it is added to Index with the corresponding document number and location. If the word is already present, the document number and location are updated. The issue with the code is that the conditional statement is not properly checking if the
gfd43tg
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I am working on Problem #2 in the attached PDF

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When I run this right now, I get an error in my first conditional for if the word is not in the index. How do I say that the word does not exist in the index? Any other problems?

Code:
function Index = InsertDoc(Index, newDoc, DocNum)
IndexWords = {Index.Word};
for i = 1:numel(newDoc)
   % If word is not in the Index
    if isempty(Index) || Index(i).Words ~= IndexWords
       Index(numel(IndexWords)+1).Word = newDoc{i};
       Index(numel(IndexWords)+1).Documents = DocNum;
       Index(numel(IndexWords)+1).Locations{end+1} = i;
    else
    end
    % If the word does exist in the Index, but the occurance is unknown
    % 1st occurance
    if Index(i).Documents == DocNum
        WordInIndex = strcmpi(newDoc{i},{Index.Word});
        Index(WordInIndex).Documents = [Index(WordInIndex).Documents,DocNum];
        Index(WordInIndex).Locations{end}(end+1)=i
      % 2nd occurance or later
    else
        Index(WordInIndex.Locations{numel(Index(WordInIndex).Locations)+1}) = i;
    end
end

Attachments

• Word Index.pdf
    59.1 KB · Views: 296
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the error that you get?
What does that error tell you about what is going on in the code?
Think about if you were tasked to do this by hand how would you go about accomplishing the task? and then how would you translate that into code?

Yes, here is the error I get

Code:
Error in InsertDoc (line 4)
    if isempty(Index) || Index(i).Words ~= DocNum

I believe something is wrong with the second part in particular. How do I say that the word does not exist in the Index?

I'm not super familiar with Matlab code so take this with a grain of salt.
It looks like you're exceeding the bounds of Index which would cause the error.

As far as how do you say? well you need to figure it out properly, which I don't think you're doing atm.
What it looks like your check is doing is saying:
If the index is empty OR the current spot I'm checking isn't the word then go ahead and add it.

Think about this. Say you have a set of trading cards and your friend gives a new one. How would you go through your cards to see if you have that one already or not

I'm trying this problem completely from scratch, so I am trying to test and debug only the first case

Here is where I am now
This is my code to create a cell structure that is an empty 1x0 cell array. I want this loop to look at every element of Doc1, and if Index is empty (should be for i=1), or if the word Doc1(i) is not inside of Index, then to append it to the cell array. I am having trouble getting a conditional statement that does exactly that.

In my test, Index should contain 'I' 'love' 'Matlab'.
Code:
function Index = InitializeIndex()
c10 = cell(1,0);
Index = struct('Word', c10, 'Documents', c10, 'Locations', c10);

Here is my input
Code:
Doc1 = {'Matlab','is','awesome'};
E7 = InitializeIndex;
E7 = InsertDoc(E7,Doc1,1);

Code:
% This function will be a struct array where each element corresponds to a
% unique word in a group of documents. In each element of the struct array
% the word is stored in the Word field, the document numbers that the word
% is contained is in the documents field, and the locations of the word in
% each document is in the Location field.
Index = {Index.Word};
    % IndexWord is either empty or the word is not present in IndexWord
    if isempty(Index) || strcmpi(Index{i},newDoc(i))
        Index{end+1} = newDoc(i); 
        Index(i).Documents = DocNum(i);
    end
end

Last edited:
Code:

Using the name (Index) for an input argument and the output argument doesn't seem like a good plan. I can't find anything in the Matlab documentation that says whether it is legal or not, but even if it is legal, it's confusing.

Hey AZ. This is the directions given in the problem. The purpose of the problem is to modify the input Index. We are supposed to Modify Index by adding in words until all unique words are contained in the output.

There is no problem calling a function with something like Index = InsertDoc(Index, newDoc, DocNum). The function takes the value of Index, computes something, and then overwrites Index with it.

But if you look at all the simple tutorial examples of how to write a function, they don't use the same variable name inside the definition of he function.

If changing one of the names doesn't help, sorry, I don't use Matlab much these days so I'm not an expert!

Actually the bigger issue was that I initialzied Index with the first function, then overwrote it with Index = {Index.Word}. I deleted that part, but I still can't get my conditional statement right.

Edit: I realize what you are telling me. This is a problem, because you have to have the output (same name as input) in the definition of the function everytime. So it seems to be contradictory in a way to what you were saying. To say that you can't have the input name in the definition of the function, however the output has to be in the function, and the output name is the same as the input name.

I don't have a choice in the name, because I have to follow the template given.

Last edited:
Here is where I am at now

Code:
% This function will be a struct array where each element corresponds to a
% unique word in a group of documents. In each element of the struct array
% the word is stored in the Word field, the document numbers that the word
% is contained is in the documents field, and the locations of the word in
% each document is in the Location field.
    % IndexWord is either empty or the word is not present in IndexWord
    if isempty(Index)|| strcmpi({Index.Word},newDoc{i})
        Index(end + 1).Word = newDoc{i}; 
    end
end

This is the input I am running
Code:
Doc1 = {'Matlab','is','awesome'};
E7 = InitializeIndex;
E7 = InsertDoc(E7,Doc1,1);

and here is my output, which was not expected. I was expecting E7(2) to be 'is', not a matrix dimension error.

Code:
E7(1)

ans = 

Word: 'Matlab'
    Documents: []
    Locations: []

EDU>> E7(2)
Index exceeds matrix dimensions.

[

Related to How to Fix Word Index Errors in MATLAB?

1. How do I create a word index in MATLAB?

To create a word index in MATLAB, you can use the "find" function to locate the position of a specific word in a string or cell array. You can then use this position to access the word and its corresponding index. Alternatively, you can use the "strfind" function to find all instances of a word within a string or cell array and return their indices.

2. Can I create a custom word index in MATLAB?

Yes, you can create a custom word index in MATLAB by using the "containers.Map" function. This allows you to create a map object with user-defined keys and values, which can be used as a word index. You can also use this function to add, remove, or modify entries in the map.

3. How can I save and load a word index in MATLAB?

You can save a word index in MATLAB by using the "save" function, which allows you to save variables to a .mat file. To load a saved word index, you can use the "load" function, which loads the variables from the .mat file into your MATLAB workspace.

4. Is it possible to update a word index in MATLAB?

Yes, you can update a word index in MATLAB by using the "containers.Map" function. This allows you to add, remove, or modify entries in the map, which can be used as a word index. You can also update a word index by re-running the code used to create it.

5. How can I convert a word index into a matrix or table in MATLAB?

You can convert a word index into a matrix or table in MATLAB by using the "keys" and "values" functions. The "keys" function returns a cell array of all the keys (words) in the map, and the "values" function returns a cell array of all the values (indices). You can then use these arrays to create a matrix or table with the desired format.