How to get in on Nuclear Fusion Development

In summary: Thanks for the input!In summary, Johns Hopkins has no major in Nuclear Engineering, but there are many other colleges that offer this type of program. You may want to consider a different major if you want to pursue Nuclear Fusion research.
JUSCIT
Hey guys.
I've recently developed an intense interest in nuclear fusion, and I was wondering what sort of majors would be relevant/helpful to a facility conducting research in that area (like ITER in France).
I'm a freshman at Johns Hopkins U, and unfortunately there isn't a major in Nuclear Engineering.
My current major is Materials Science and Engineering, but I'm also looking at Electrical or Computer Engineering (freshman indecisiveness).
Does anyone have any advice/words of caution? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Nuclear Fusion R&D would be a post-grad study - so you'd start by finding a college that offers this as part f their post-grad program and take the courses they tell you to. For you, this will likely mean changing Colleges at some point - seek advise on the best time to do that with your target college... you may be able to do it in your honors year.

You current program appears very vocational and practical - and heading away from fusion so you have some soul-searching to do. Presumably the engineering program includes some pure science papers? Look ahead in the prospectus to see what JHU does in terms of nuclear physics and support papers at the undergrad level. Look for scholarship programs to other colleges etc.

JUSCIT said:
Hey guys.
I've recently developed an intense interest in nuclear fusion, and I was wondering what sort of majors would be relevant/helpful to a facility conducting research in that area (like ITER in France).
I'm a freshman at Johns Hopkins U, and unfortunately there isn't a major in Nuclear Engineering.
My current major is Materials Science and Engineering, but I'm also looking at Electrical or Computer Engineering (freshman indecisiveness).
Does anyone have any advice/words of caution? Thanks!

Nuclear Fusion research is conducted under plasma physics so you might be want to look into the physics program at Johns Hopkins instead of the engineering. I see they do plasma spectroscopy which would be a better avenue of doing fusion research than Material science (material science do fusion too but as the name suggests they study and test materials needed on the engineering side of things, new material for tokomak design, things like that).

This link to the wiki of their plasma group might interest you:

http://plasma.pha.jhu.edu/research/index.php/Main_Page

clope023 said:
I see they do plasma spectroscopy which would be a better avenue of doing fusion research than Material science (material science do fusion too but as the name suggests they study and test materials needed on the engineering side of things, new material for tokomak design, things like that).

Thanks for the advice! The way I'm looking at the situation (when I decided my major that is) is that scientists have already figured out the theory behind making fusion work (and there are probably tons of brilliant people who know more about that than I ever will), but what's needed to make nuclear fusion energy-effective is better materials.
I'm not sure if that's a legitimate route, but that's my current view on things.

Hi there,

It's great to hear that you have developed an interest in nuclear fusion. It is a fascinating and promising field of research. I can provide some advice on how to get involved in nuclear fusion development.

Firstly, I would recommend focusing on your current major in Materials Science and Engineering. This field is highly relevant to nuclear fusion as it involves understanding the properties and behavior of materials at the atomic and molecular level, which is crucial in designing and developing fusion reactors.

Additionally, electrical and computer engineering can also be useful in nuclear fusion research, as these fields involve knowledge of power systems and control systems, which are essential in managing the high temperatures and energy produced in fusion reactions.

I would also suggest seeking out internships or research opportunities at universities or facilities conducting nuclear fusion research. This will give you hands-on experience and exposure to the field.

Another option is to pursue a graduate degree in a field related to nuclear fusion, such as nuclear engineering, plasma physics, or materials science and engineering. This will provide you with a more specialized and in-depth understanding of the science and technology behind fusion reactors.

Lastly, I would advise caution in pursuing a career in nuclear fusion. While it is an exciting and promising field, it is also a highly complex and challenging one. It requires a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and engineering, as well as patience and determination. But with hard work and dedication, you can make a valuable contribution to the development of nuclear fusion.

Best of luck in your academic and career pursuits. Keep exploring and learning about nuclear fusion, and don't hesitate to reach out to professionals in the field for guidance and advice.

FAQ: How to get in on Nuclear Fusion Development

1. What is nuclear fusion?

Nuclear fusion is a process in which two or more atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus, releasing a large amount of energy in the process. This is the same process that powers the sun and other stars.

2. Why is nuclear fusion important?

Nuclear fusion has the potential to be a virtually limitless source of clean energy. It produces no greenhouse gases or other harmful pollutants, and the fuel source, hydrogen, is abundant in nature. This could greatly reduce our dependence on fossil fuels and help mitigate the effects of climate change.

3. How do I get involved in nuclear fusion development?

There are various ways to get involved in nuclear fusion development. You can pursue a career in nuclear engineering or plasma physics, both of which are crucial fields in fusion research. You can also support and promote fusion research through advocacy and education. Additionally, there are opportunities to volunteer or intern at fusion research facilities.

4. What are the current challenges in nuclear fusion development?

One of the main challenges in nuclear fusion development is achieving and sustaining a self-sustaining fusion reaction, also known as "ignition". This requires extremely high temperatures and pressures, along with precise control of the plasma. Other challenges include developing materials that can withstand the extreme conditions inside a fusion reactor, and finding ways to efficiently extract and utilize the energy produced.

5. When will nuclear fusion be a viable source of energy?

There is no definite answer to this question as it depends on various factors such as funding, technological advancements, and research progress. However, many scientists and experts believe that we are getting closer to achieving ignition and making nuclear fusion a viable source of energy. Some estimates predict that fusion could be commercially available within the next few decades.