How to get started learning physics?

When encountering difficult concepts, it is helpful to ask specific questions. Additionally, Dave recommends working through practical experiments in high school books. He also suggests considering going to university as an adult student, as he did when studying geology at the age of 10. In summary, to excel in physics, one should study and read textbooks, ask specific questions, and work through practical experiments.
Bill Cao
I am new to this forum and staring to learn physics. I was wondering how I would get really good at physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi
welcome to PF

Lots of study, read good textbooks as used in university/college classes
when you cone across things in the books that you don't understand, then you can ask specific questions :)Ohhhh even get some basic high school books that have lots of practical experiments that you could work your way through

cheers
Dave

you haven't said anything about yourself
are you a teen, a senior person ... ?
have you considered going to university as an adult student ?
I did that to study geology, I was 10 yrs old when I started univ.

Dave

FAQ: How to get started learning physics?

1. How do I begin learning physics?

The best way to start learning physics is by building a strong foundation in mathematics. This includes algebra, geometry, and calculus. Once you have a solid understanding of these concepts, you can begin to dive into the principles of physics.

2. What are the essential topics to cover when learning physics?

Some essential topics to cover when learning physics include mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It is also important to have a basic understanding of scientific notation, units of measurement, and mathematical equations.

3. Are there any online resources for learning physics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning physics. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare. These resources offer lectures, practice problems, and interactive simulations to help you learn physics at your own pace.

4. Is it necessary to have a physics background to understand the subject?

While having a background in physics can be helpful, it is not necessary to understand the subject. Physics is based on fundamental principles and can be understood by anyone with a strong foundation in mathematics and critical thinking skills.

5. How can I apply what I learn in physics to real-life situations?

Physics is all around us, and its principles can be applied to various real-life situations. For example, understanding the laws of motion can help you predict the trajectory of a ball, while understanding thermodynamics can help you understand how a refrigerator works. Additionally, many careers, such as engineering and medicine, require a strong understanding of physics, making it a valuable subject to learn.