How to get the normalized log-normal distribution equation?

• Thread starter Seunghyun Moon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Distribution
In summary, the normalized log-normal distribution equation is a mathematical formula used to describe the probability distribution of a random variable with a normally distributed logarithm. It is derived from the standard normal distribution by applying a logarithmic transformation and is characterized by the mean and standard deviation of the underlying normal distribution. This equation has practical applications in various fields, but it may have limitations in modeling real-world data that is not continuous or has extreme values.
Seunghyun Moon
I have a quick(?) question about log-normal distribution. As far as I know, the right-side equation (from wiki) is the PDF of log-normal distribution. However... How I can get the left-side equation...??

I do not know how I can get the normalized log-normal function? please help me...

Attachments

• log-normal distribution.png
    log-normal distribution.png
    50.6 KB · Views: 2,517
Physics news on Phys.org
The RHS equation is the normalized log distribution.
The LHS shows the norm-log distribution... compare with normal distribution.

FAQ: How to get the normalized log-normal distribution equation?

1. What is the normalized log-normal distribution equation?

The normalized log-normal distribution equation is a mathematical formula that describes the probability distribution of a random variable whose logarithm is normally distributed. It is often used to model data that follows a skewed distribution, such as income or stock prices.

2. How is the normalized log-normal distribution equation derived?

The normalized log-normal distribution equation is derived from the standard normal distribution by applying a logarithmic transformation. This transformation helps to "normalize" the distribution, making it symmetrical and easier to work with mathematically.

3. What are the main parameters of the normalized log-normal distribution equation?

The main parameters of the normalized log-normal distribution equation are the mean (µ) and standard deviation (σ) of the underlying normal distribution. These parameters determine the shape and location of the log-normal curve.

4. How is the normalized log-normal distribution equation used in practical applications?

The normalized log-normal distribution equation is used in various fields, including finance, economics, and engineering. It can be used to model and analyze data that follows a skewed distribution, and it is also used in risk management and option pricing models.

5. What are some limitations of the normalized log-normal distribution equation?

One limitation of the normalized log-normal distribution equation is that it assumes a continuous distribution, which may not always be the case in real-world data. Additionally, the equation may not accurately model extreme values, as it assumes that the distribution is symmetrical and unbounded.