How to go about asking for an internship while still being in high school?

In summary, the person is seeking advice on how to secure an internship related to physics for the summer. They are wondering if they should mention their current enrollment in an introductory quantum mechanics class or simply express their interest in physics. They are also looking for any helpful tips, such as knowledge in quantum mechanics, calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and programming. It is advised to not write a lengthy email and to possibly mention high school status later on to avoid being immediately dismissed.
romsofia
I REALLY want to try for an internship this summer with something to do with physics, and I think I made a thread about this already, but how should I actually do this? Should I bring up that I'm currently auditing an intro to QM class at so and so university, or keep that out? Or should I just bring up that I'm interested in an internship because I like physics?

Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Anything that could be useful. Yes, knowing quantum mechanics helps, knowing calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and whatever other relevant mathematics helps. If you know how to program that's a plus. When you're emailing people, though, don't write a wall of text, otherwise you're very likely to be ignored. Also, see if you can put off mentioning that you're in high school until the middle-ish of your email, since a lot of people won't even give you a chance once they read 'High school kid wanting to intern' in the subject or first sentence.

FAQ: How to go about asking for an internship while still being in high school?

1. How do I find internships while still in high school?

You can start by doing research online and checking with your school's career center or guidance counselor. You can also reach out to local businesses or organizations that align with your interests and ask if they offer internships for high school students.

2. What should I include in my application for a high school internship?

Your application should include a cover letter, resume, and any relevant academic or extracurricular achievements. You should also highlight any relevant skills or experience, such as volunteer work or part-time jobs.

3. How do I approach asking for an internship as a high school student?

You can start by researching the company or organization you are interested in and reaching out to them via email or phone to inquire about internship opportunities. Be professional and polite in your communication, and be prepared to showcase your interest and qualifications for the position.

4. Is it possible to balance a high school internship with my academic responsibilities?

It depends on the specific internship and your academic workload. It's important to communicate your availability and schedule with the internship provider and make sure you are able to fulfill your responsibilities in both areas without compromising your academic success.

5. What are the benefits of doing a high school internship?

There are many benefits to doing a high school internship, including gaining hands-on experience in a field of interest, building your resume, networking with professionals, and learning important skills such as time management and communication. It can also help you make informed decisions about your future career path.