What Is the Molality of a 1.00 M LiBF4 Solution with a Density of 0.852 g/mL?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the molality of a 1.00 M solution of Lithium tetrafluoroborate (LiBF4) in acetonitrile, given its density of 0.852 g/mL. The participants discuss using the equation density = mass/volume and concentration = moles/volume, but are unsure of how to proceed with the variables. One person suggests finding the mass of the solution, LiBF4 and solvent, while another suggests that it may become clearer by reading the first post.
geffman1

Homework Statement

hey guys just wondering how to do this.
Lithium tetrafluoroborate (LiBF4) is sold as a 1.00 M solution in
acetonitrile. If the solution has a density of 0.852 g/mL,
the molality of the solution is?

i tired using denisty=m/v and concentration=n/v but always had 2 variables. any help would be good. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
1 L of your solution - what mass? What mass of LiBF4? What mass of solvent?

umm, 852 grams/litre?

Any doubts?

i think it right but don't know what the next step is?

Perhaps if you will read my very first post it will become clearer.

Related to What Is the Molality of a 1.00 M LiBF4 Solution with a Density of 0.852 g/mL?

1. What is the formula for converting density to molality?

The formula is: molality = density / molar mass. This equation takes into account the density of the solution and the molar mass of the solute.

2. How do I determine the molar mass of the solute?

The molar mass can be found on the periodic table. Simply look up the element or compound and use the listed molar mass in the conversion equation.

3. What units should be used for density and molar mass in the conversion equation?

Density should be in units of grams per milliliter (g/mL) or kilograms per liter (kg/L). Molar mass should be in units of grams per mole (g/mol).

4. Can I use this equation for any type of solution?

Yes, this equation can be used for any type of solution as long as the units are correct and the molar mass is known.

5. How is molality different from molarity?

Molality (m) is a measure of the concentration of a solution in terms of the number of moles of solute per kilogram of solvent. Molarity (M) is a measure of the concentration of a solution in terms of the number of moles of solute per liter of solution. Molality takes into account the mass of the solvent, while molarity does not.