How to graph spherical coordinates

In summary: Cartesian coordinate system on a plane. If you express it in terms of cylindrical coordinates, you'll get a cylindrical coordinate system in 3D. However, theta and Phi will remain undefined.
bfusco

Homework Statement

given I=∫∫∫ρ^3 sin^2(∅) dρ d∅ dθ
the bounds of the integrals:
left most integral: from 0 to pi
middle integral: from 0 to pi/2
right most integral: from 1 to 3

i have no idea how to graph this, i was hoping someone would be able to recommend some techniques.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what ρ, ∅ and θ mean? What do they represent in terms of spherical coordinates?

Check the attachment. By the way, your description is confusing. Instead of "left most", "middle", etc, use specific symbols to represent those values, for clarity.

For example, ρ varies from 1 to 3 or better put as: ##1\leqρ\leq 3##

In your description: "left most integral: from 0 to pi" would indicate that ρ varies from 0 to pi, which is incorrect, as ρ is not an angle. ρ is the magnitude/length of the chord extending from the origin to the surface of the sphere.

Attachments

• CE160600FG0020.gif
    CE160600FG0020.gif
    4.3 KB · Views: 595
Last edited:
sharks said:
Do you know what ρ, ∅ and θ mean? What do they represent in terms of spherical coordinates?

I believe they mean:
θ means the rotation from the x axis
∅ means rotation from the z axis
ρ is like the length

does spherical coordinates literally mean that we are putting the function into a sphere?

sharks said:
Check the attachment. By the way, your description is confusing. Instead of "left most", "middle", etc, use specific symbols to represent those values, for clarity.

For example, ρ varies from 1 to 3 or better put as: ##1\leqρ\leq 3##

In your description: " right most integral: from 1 to 3" would indicate that θ varies from 1 to 3, which is likely incorrect, as it's an angle and it's more conventional to state its range of values in terms of pi.

kk well then i will rewrite what the bounds are: (<_ is going to mean less than or equal to)
0<_θ<_pi, 0<_∅<_pi/2, 1<_ρ<_3

It should be quite obvious now. Just draw the sphere. Try to imagine it first. Starting from the positive x-axis, draw an angle of pi (anti-clockwise), which would represent the required angle θ. Plotting ∅ should be simple, starting from the positive z-axis until the plane z = 0. For ρ, you need to plot two surfaces; one at radius = 1 and the other surface at radius 3 units from the origin. The required spherical volume is a quarter sphere with radius = 3, but hollowed from the centre until radius = 1. See the attachment.

Attachments

• QuarterHollowSphere.png
    QuarterHollowSphere.png
    927 bytes · Views: 495
Last edited:
i am still not understanding, if i am only focusing on the bounds what is the function given for? also, if i am eventually just drawing two spheres, one with a radius of 1 and the other 3, what is the point of doing anything with theta, and phi?

bfusco said:
i am still not understanding, if i am only focusing on the bounds what is the function given for?

Your question is: "how to graph spherical coordinates" which is exactly what I've explained.

Are you trying to evaluate the value of I? If yes, then you'll need to make use of ρ^3 sin^2(∅) by proceeding with the triple integration, and using the given bounds as the limits.

bfusco said:
also, if i am eventually just drawing two spheres, one with a radius of 1 and the other 3, what is the point of doing anything with theta, and phi?

Without θ, you would not know if the required section of the sphere does a complete revolution about the z-axis, or not.
Without ρ, you would not know the radius of the sphere.

sharks said:
Your question is: "how to graph spherical coordinates" which is exactly what I've explained.

Are you trying to evaluate the value of I? If yes, then you'll need to make use of ρ^3 sin^2(∅) by proceeding with the triple integration, and using the given bounds as the limits.

well eventually i was going to express the iterated integral in terms of both cartesian coordinates and cylindrical coordinates, and i thought that by drawing it out that would help me. i also was expecting to get a shape as you would get if you did a function in cartesian coordinates, not really just a line. just seeing a line and 2 angles i have no idea how that helps me towards my eventual goal of expressing this triple integral in cartesian and cylindrical coordinates.

sharks said:
Without θ, you would not know if the required section of the sphere does a complete revolution about the z-axis, or not.
Without ρ, you would not know the radius of the sphere.

bfusco said:
well eventually i was going to express the iterated integral in terms of both cartesian coordinates and cylindrical coordinates, and i thought that by drawing it out that would help me.

Indeed, it is always a good idea to draw the required 3D region. It'll clarify and enhance your understanding.

bfusco said:
i also was expecting to get a shape as you would get if you did a function in cartesian coordinates, not really just a line.

If you express the given spherical coordinates into Cartesian/cylindrical coordinates, you should still get the exact same shape/volume. In this case, spherical coordinates has been used as it is simply more appropriate (since it deals with the volume of a sphere). Using other (less appropriate) coordinates systems would make the problem more complex (the limits wouldn't be so clearly defined) and the resulting triple integration tedious.

bfusco said:
just seeing a line and 2 angles i have no idea how that helps me towards my eventual goal of expressing this triple integral in cartesian and cylindrical coordinates.

That would be another question. You are asking how to convert spherical coordinates to Cartesian/cylindrical coordinates. This is the point where you'll need to use the 3D plot (from earlier) to set the new limits for the different coordinates systems.

Related to How to graph spherical coordinates

1. What are spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a system of coordinates used to describe points in three-dimensional space. They consist of a radial distance from the origin, an angle measured from the positive z-axis, and an angle measured from the positive x-axis.

2. How do I plot spherical coordinates?

To plot spherical coordinates, start by drawing a horizontal plane and marking the origin at the center. Then, draw a vertical line from the origin and mark the positive z-axis. Next, draw a circle on the horizontal plane with the origin as the center. Finally, use the angles given in the spherical coordinates to locate the point on the circle and the distance from the origin to plot the point in three-dimensional space.

3. What is the difference between spherical and Cartesian coordinates?

The main difference between spherical and Cartesian coordinates is the way they measure distance and angles. Spherical coordinates use a distance from the origin and two angles, while Cartesian coordinates use three distances along the x, y, and z axes.

4. How do I convert Cartesian coordinates to spherical coordinates?

To convert Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z) to spherical coordinates (r, θ, φ), use the following formulas:
r = √(x2 + y2 + z2)
θ = arctan(y/x)
φ = arccos(z/r)

5. What is the significance of spherical coordinates in science?

Spherical coordinates are commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the position and orientation of objects in three-dimensional space. They are particularly useful in fields such as astronomy, where objects are often located using their distance and angles from a reference point, such as the Earth's center.

Back