How to Implement F1 and F2 Using an 8:1 MUX?

• Thread starter MagLok
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the implementation of two functions, F1 and F2, using an 8-to-1 multiplexer. The method of using a K-map to derive the multiplexer is mentioned. The individual steps for implementing F1 and F2 using the multiplexer are discussed, but there is uncertainty about the final value relationship between F1(4) and F1(7).
MagLok

Homework Statement

F1 = AB + AC + BC
F2 = (A + C’ + D’)(B + C + D)(A + B’ + C)

2) Draw the 8-to-1 MUX implementation of F1 and F2; show your work.

I understand doing a 4:1 of one function, but how do you do an 8:1 with two functions?

Physics news on Phys.org
MagLok said:

Homework Statement

F1 = AB + AC + BC
F2 = (A + C’ + D’)(B + C + D)(A + B’ + C)

2) Draw the 8-to-1 MUX implementation of F1 and F2; show your work.

I understand doing a 4:1 of one function, but how do you do an 8:1 with two functions?

put three select signals at the top: A,B,C
F1 would take only 1,0s for each output
and for F2, you would need some of inputs in terms of D

Alright, let me try it and see. the method that I've used for 4:1 is draw the k-map (2 rows, 4 columns) and then derive the mux from that, is this a similar method? I'm assuming so and that's what I'll try again. Thanks for the quick response by the way.

-Mikael

Alright, here's what I got and I'm pretty sure it's wrong (see the note..the MUX I drew is essentially the MUX for F2, and I'm not sure about what to do with the final value relationship between F1(4) and F1(7)

Thanks again in advance,

-Mikael

Edit: I should probably post a link to my work huh :-) http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/227/1331013oi1.jpg Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How to Implement F1 and F2 Using an 8:1 MUX?

1. What is a 8:1 MUX?

A 8:1 MUX (multiplexer) is a digital logic device that has 8 data inputs and 1 output. It selects one of the 8 inputs based on the control signals and passes it to the output.

2. How does a 8:1 MUX work?

A 8:1 MUX uses a set of control signals to select which input to pass to the output. The control signals are typically binary and determine which input is selected. The selected input is then passed to the output.

3. What are the applications of a 8:1 MUX?

A 8:1 MUX is commonly used in digital circuits for data routing, signal conditioning, and data selection. It is also used in microprocessors, memory systems, and communication systems.

4. How is a 8:1 MUX different from a 4:1 MUX?

A 8:1 MUX has 8 data inputs and 1 output, while a 4:1 MUX has 4 data inputs and 1 output. This means that a 8:1 MUX can select from a larger number of inputs compared to a 4:1 MUX.

5. Can a 8:1 MUX be used to implement any Boolean function?

Yes, a 8:1 MUX can be used to implement any Boolean function by connecting the inputs to the appropriate truth table and using the control signals to select the desired output. This is known as MUX-based logic design.