How to Include EPS Figures in Latex?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter DukeLuke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the conversation is about including a graph in eps file format in a Latex paper. The person is having trouble and has tried including the file in the same folder as the Latex document and using the \usepackage{graphicx} command, but received an error. They are asking for help and discussing different commands and methods for converting the file to pdf. The issue is eventually resolved with the use of TeXnicCenter's Latex=>PS=>PDF option.
DukeLuke
I want to include a graph in eps file format in a Latex paper and I'm having some trouble. I have read a few online tutorials, but I can't seem to make any headway. I started by putting the eps file to be included in the same folder that my latex document is saved to. Then I included \usepackage{graphicx} in my preamble. I then tried to use \includegraphics{woodSaxon.eps} where woodSaxon is the name of the file I wanted to include. This gave me a Latex compiler error entitled "Unknown graphics extension: .eps". Does anyone know what my problem is? Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
what is your latex command?

is it pdflatex ...?
does latex ... work?

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure I know what you mean when you say latex command. If you’re referring to experience using latex, then this is the first time I have attempted to include graphics. I have created papers just containing equations and text that turned out fine. My output is pdf, if that specifies pdflatex. My whole document looks fine when I create a pdf, I just can't get it to compile when I try to include the image because of the error I described in the first post. If it helps I'm using Texnic Center with Miktex 2.7.

Turns out TeXnicCenter has a Latex=>PS=>PDF option that did the trick. Thanks for the help.

Related to How to Include EPS Figures in Latex?

1. What is the best way to include EPS figures in Latex?

The recommended way to include EPS figures in Latex is by using the graphicx package. This allows for easy integration of EPS figures into your document.

2. Can I resize EPS figures in Latex?

Yes, you can resize EPS figures in Latex using the \includegraphics command provided by the graphicx package. You can specify the desired width or height of the figure in your document.

3. How do I center EPS figures in Latex?

To center an EPS figure in Latex, you can use the \centering command before the \includegraphics command. This will center the figure on the page.

4. Can I use color in EPS figures in Latex?

Yes, you can use color in EPS figures in Latex. Make sure to load the color package before the graphicx package and then use the \includegraphics command with the option "color" to specify the desired color.

5. What is the difference between EPS and PDF figures in Latex?

EPS (Encapsulated PostScript) is an older format that is mainly used for vector graphics, while PDF (Portable Document Format) is a newer format that can contain both vector and raster graphics. In Latex, EPS figures need to be converted to PDF first before they can be included, while PDF figures can be directly included using the graphicx package.