How to insert a matrix from a website into a sheet?

• Calculators
  • Thread starter Adel Makram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary: If you know some programming language, you could write a program to read the data and write it back out again with commas or tabs. This is worthwhile only if there's a huge number of entries, or you need to do it repeatedly.
Adel Makram
Say, I have a matrix which I obtained from a website for matrix calculation, how to insert it into an excel so as for each cell in the matrix, there is a corresponding cell in the excel sheet?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Have you tried copy and paste ?

Also some apps will have a paste special menu where you can select paste options like unformatted or preserve formatting that you could try.

jedishrfu said:
Have you tried copy and paste ?

Also some apps will have a paste special menu where you can select paste options like unformatted or preserve formatting that you could try.
Trying pasting it into excel, leads to insertion in the first cell only.

So did you see if there's a paste special?

Another idea is to paste in a document and adjust it to be a csv file, a comma separated variable file.

You could also try pasting it into googles spreadsheet and then copying from there to yours.

Google will have an export feature too where you can mark cells and rxport as a csv.

jedishrfu said:
So did you see if there's a paste special?

Another idea is to paste in a document and adjust it to be a csv file, a comma separated variable file.

You could also try pasting it into googles spreadsheet and then copying from there to yours.

Google will have an export feature too where you can mark cells and rxport as a csv.
It is not working in google spreadsheet. Regarding, csv file, I have no option to do so when I saved the file into the MS word.

So you want to copy a spreadsheet from google to excel? That should work. Is it only numbers?

Do you have google drive installed? Google won't let you copy if its not installed as it can't access your local clipboard without google drive software running.

jedishrfu said:
So you want to copy a spreadsheet from google to excel? That should work. Is it only numbers?

Do you have google drive installed? Google won't let you copy if its not installed as it can't access your local clipboard without google drive software running.
The attached image is a matrix from a site for matrix calculation, I just want to past it into excel so that each number occupies one cell!

Attachments

• Snap 2016-11-03 at 20.37.35.png
    Snap 2016-11-03 at 20.37.35.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 527
Adel Makram said:
Trying pasting it into excel, leads to insertion in the first cell only.

After you have the data pasted into the first cell, select "Text to Columns" from the Data menu. This will allow you to split it into separate columns. You can choose the delimiter to be spaces, commas, or whatever.

Likes Borg, CalcNerd, jedishrfu and 1 other person
phyzguy said:
After you have the data pasted into the first cell, select "Text to Columns" from the Data menu. This will allow you to split it into separate columns. You can choose the delimiter to be spaces, commas, or whatever.
wow, it works, thank you very much

When I used the copy/paste feature, MS Excel had a little menu next to the paste location where you could specify using the text wizard where you selected fixed column text which did the same thing.

Glad Phyzguy's suggestion worked for you.

phyzguy said:
Interesting, I never paid attention to that button. Every once in a great while that would have come in handy. Now if I can just remember about it when the next time comes around...

Adel Makram said:
Regarding, csv file, I have no option to do so when I saved the file into the MS word.
How many entries does the table have? If it's not a huge number and you need to do it only once, you could simply add the commas by hand.

If you know some programming language, you could write a program to read the data and write it back out again with commas or tabs. This is worthwhile only if there's a huge number of entries, or you need to do it repeatedly.

jedishrfu said:
a little menu next to the paste location where you could specify using the text wizard
Aha, now I remember the text wizard. You also get it if you save the table into a text file, then open that file in Excel. That's how I've used it.

FAQ: How to insert a matrix from a website into a sheet?

1. What is a matrix and why would I need to insert it into a sheet?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, symbols, or expressions arranged in rows and columns. It is commonly used in mathematics, statistics, and computer science for data organization and analysis. Inserting a matrix into a sheet allows for easier manipulation and visualization of the data.

2. How do I copy and paste a matrix from a website into a sheet?

To copy and paste a matrix from a website into a sheet, you can simply select the matrix and use the keyboard shortcut "Ctrl+C" to copy and "Ctrl+V" to paste it into the desired location in the sheet.

3. Can I import a matrix from a website directly into a sheet?

Yes, most spreadsheet software allows for importing data from external sources, including websites. You can usually find this option under the "File" or "Data" menu in the program. Simply provide the URL of the website where the matrix is located and follow the prompts to import it into your sheet.

4. How do I format a matrix in a sheet?

To format a matrix in a sheet, you can use the formatting options provided by the spreadsheet software. This includes changing the font, font size, cell borders, and color of the matrix. You can also use formulas and functions to manipulate the data within the matrix.

5. Can I update a matrix in a sheet if it changes on the website?

Yes, if the matrix on the website is linked to the one in your sheet, any changes made to the website matrix will be reflected in your sheet. This is known as a live link or dynamic data. You can usually find this option when importing the matrix or by using the "Update" function in the program.