How to Integrate g(x)=∫ƒ(t) dt from -5 to x | Homework Help

In summary, integration is a fundamental tool in calculus used to find the area under a curve or the volume of a solid. The limits of integration are determined by the values of the independent variable in the given problem. The most commonly used methods of integration are the power rule, substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. To check the correctness of integration, one can take the derivative of the resulting function or use software such as Wolfram Alpha. Integration is also widely used in solving real-world problems in various fields.
romeIAM

Homework Statement

http://s23.postimg.org/wsj9e91wb/IMG_1334.jpg[/B]
photo of the problem

g(x)=∫ƒ(t) dt from -5 to x

ƒ(t) = (0 if x < -5
5 if -5≤x<-1
-3 if -1≤≤x<3
0 if x≥3)

(a) g(-8) = 0
(b) g(-4) = 5
(c) g(0) = ?
(d) g(4) = ?

Homework Equations

∫ƒ(x) from a to b = (f'(b)-f'(a))
fundamental theorem of calculus

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I was able to get that g(-8) = 0 because plugging -8 into the upper limit and meant x was less than -1 and gave me with f(t) equaling 0 and the anti derivative of 0 is 0. Now i got g(-4) = 5 because the antiderivative of 5 is 5x and plugging in -4 → x and -5→x got me 5. However when i do the same for c and i get -15 by plugging in 0 to x making the f(t) = -3 . The last 0 i thought the anti derivative of 0 is 0 but it doesn't take either of those answers. I need guidence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
romeIAM said:

Homework Statement

http://s23.postimg.org/wsj9e91wb/IMG_1334.jpg[/B]
photo of the problem

g(x)=∫ƒ(t) dt from -5 to x

ƒ(t) = (0 if x < -5
5 if -5≤x<-1
-3 if -1≤≤x<3
0 if x≥3)

(a) g(-8) = 0
(b) g(-4) = 5
(c) g(0) = ?
(d) g(4) = ?

Homework Equations

∫ƒ(x) from a to b = (f'(b)-f'(a))
fundamental theorem of calculus
This is NOT what the FTC says!
romeIAM said:

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I was able to get that g(-8) = 0 because plugging -8 into the upper limit and meant x was less than -1 and gave me with f(t) equaling 0 and the anti derivative of 0 is 0. Now i got g(-4) = 5 because the antiderivative of 5 is 5x and plugging in -4 → x and -5→x got me 5. However when i do the same for c and i get -15 by plugging in 0 to x making the f(t) = -3 . The last 0 i thought the anti derivative of 0 is 0 but it doesn't take either of those answers. I need guidence.
Much better! Thank you.

Sketch the graph, if you haven't already done so. If you have the graph, this is a very simple problem.
For c) g(0) = ##\int_{-5}^{-1} f(t)dt + \int_{-1}^0 f(t)dt##
The first integral is positive, since the graph of f is above the horizontal axis. The second integral is negative, because the graph is below the hor. axis.

For d), the approach is similar.

Related to How to Integrate g(x)=∫ƒ(t) dt from -5 to x | Homework Help

1. How do I determine the limits of integration?

The limits of integration are determined by the values of the independent variable in the given problem. These limits can be found by examining the problem and identifying the range of values for the independent variable that are relevant to the integration.

2. What is the purpose of integration?

Integration is used to find the area under a curve or the volume of a solid, among other applications. It is a fundamental tool in calculus and is used to solve a wide range of problems in physics, engineering, and other fields.

3. What are the different methods of integration?

The most commonly used methods of integration are the power rule, substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. Other methods include trigonometric substitution and using tables of integrals. The method used depends on the complexity of the function being integrated.

4. How do I know if my integration is correct?

One way to check if your integration is correct is to take the derivative of the resulting function and see if it matches the original function. Additionally, you can use software such as Wolfram Alpha to verify your answer. It is also helpful to double-check your steps and calculations to catch any mistakes.

5. Can I use integration to solve real-world problems?

Yes, integration is used extensively in solving real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and more. It allows for the calculation of important quantities such as work, center of mass, and profit. It is a powerful tool for analyzing and solving complex systems and equations.