How to Interpret Drosophila Genetics Problem with Red and White Eye Traits?

• Thread starter fishingspree2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Genetics
In summary, the conversation discusses the inheritance of red eyes and white eyes in drosophila. The data suggests that the white eye trait is sex-linked, but the results do not match with a recessive sex-linked inheritance. The speaker suggests trying to assume that it is a dominant trait and asks for further clarification on the data. There is also discussion about the method used and whether the experiment was actually conducted or from a class.
fishingspree2
Hello,

I want to study the inheritance of red eyes and white eyes in drosophila.
I have mated red-eyed females with white eyed males.

F1: All F1 females were white eyed and all F1 males were red-eyed.
19 white eyed females and 22 red eyed males.

I have also crossed the females and males of the F1 generation, but this is not relevant for my question.

I am trying to draw a pedigree chart for the P generation and their offspring, but there is a small problem. I know that this trait is sex-linked, and that the white eyes allele is recessive. Let R denote the red eyes allele and r the white eyes allele. Here is what I get:
16m3vrc.jpg

Please, what is the problem?

Biology news on Phys.org
You are correct, these data are clearly inconsistent with the white eye trait being a sex-linked recessive trait. These data are consistent, however, with a different type of inheritance for the white eye trait. Can you determine what this mode of inheritance is?

Hmm I don't really see what mode of inheritance it could be... can you give me a hint?

Well, first consider whether it is sex-linked or not. Do the data suggest that it is sex-linked? Once you figure out whether it is sex-linked or autosomal, you can try assuming that it is recessive and see whether the results match, then try assuming its dominant.

I have tried sex-linked and it didn't work. The data suggests it is sex-linked, and I know that answer is recessive sex-linked. Recessive sex-linked is what I tried and it didnt work. I think I am missing something... please help me

EDIT: By the way, the method I have tried is assuming the inheritance mode is sex-linked. Maybe I should have put R as an exponent

EDIT2: After re-reading your post it seems like you've understood my try of the white eye being a sex-linked recessive trait. This is what the data suggests. However, the pedigree does not work, and I thought after reading on wikipedia that it was indeed a sex-linked recessive trait. I am lost

Last edited:
Assume white eyes are a sex-linked dominant trait. In your red-eyed female x white-eyed male cross, what would you expect?

Now, the white eyed trait is normally a recessive sex-linked trait. Is this problem from a class or did you actually do this experiment and get this data?

FAQ: How to Interpret Drosophila Genetics Problem with Red and White Eye Traits?

1. What is Drosophila genetics?

Drosophila genetics is the study of the genetic traits and patterns of inheritance in the fruit fly species Drosophila melanogaster. These flies have a short life cycle, making them ideal for genetic research, and have many genetic similarities to humans, making them a useful model organism for studying human genetics.

2. What are some common Drosophila genetic problems?

Some common Drosophila genetic problems include determining the inheritance pattern of a specific trait, identifying genetic mutations, and studying the effects of environmental factors on gene expression.

3. How do scientists study Drosophila genetics?

Scientists study Drosophila genetics by performing controlled breeding experiments, observing and recording physical traits, and analyzing the genetic makeup of the flies using techniques such as mutagenesis, gene editing, and genetic mapping.

4. What are the benefits of using Drosophila for genetic research?

Drosophila has several advantages for genetic research, including a short life cycle, large number of offspring, and well-studied genome. Additionally, the genetic similarities between Drosophila and humans make it a useful model organism for studying human genetics and diseases.

5. What are some real-world applications of Drosophila genetics research?

Some real-world applications of Drosophila genetics research include understanding the genetic basis of diseases, developing new treatments and therapies, and improving agriculture and pest control methods. Drosophila research has also contributed to advancements in fields such as developmental biology, neuroscience, and evolutionary biology.