How to make 4 variable polynomial equatio

In summary, the conversation discusses using excel to create an equation with four variables (x, y, z, w) and constants (a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i). The equations are called regression equations and the procedure for making them can be found in literature. However, the equation may be better suited for other software such as MATLAB. The speaker suggests using the "solver" function in excel to determine the constants and mentions that other programs may be more effective for this task.
afzal
Can I use excel to make an equation for 4 variables (x,y,z,w)
e.g
a,b,c,d,3,f,g,h,i, would be constants

w = ax + by + cz + dx^2 + ey^2 + fz^2 + gxy + hyz + iyz

What are these equations called ?
What literature can I study to better understand the procedure of making these tye of equations.

I tried regression but the equation looks like

w = ax + by + cz + c

Is it possible on ay other software e.g MATLAB

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What do you plan to do with the equation?
You can type this equation into excel (with cell references instead of variables). And now?

If you want to determine your constants in a fit, you can use the "solver" funktion, and use a cell which somehow determines the quality of your current constants to maximize/minimize/whatever this value.
Other programs might be better here.

Related to How to make 4 variable polynomial equatio

1. How do I identify the variables in a polynomial equation?

To identify the variables in a polynomial equation, you need to look for letters or symbols that represent unknown quantities. These are typically represented by x, y, z, or any other letter in the alphabet. The coefficients of these variables will be numbers that multiply with the variables.

2. How do I write a polynomial equation with 4 variables?

A polynomial equation with 4 variables will have the form ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d, where a, b, c, and d are the coefficients and x is the variable. You can also include exponents higher than 3, as long as there are 4 distinct variables.

3. How do I solve a 4 variable polynomial equation?

To solve a 4 variable polynomial equation, you will need to use algebraic methods such as factoring, substitution, or the quadratic formula. You can also use a graphing calculator to plot the equation and find the intersection points, which represent the solutions.

4. Can a polynomial equation have more than 4 variables?

Yes, a polynomial equation can have any number of variables. However, it is important to note that the number of variables will determine the degree of the equation. A polynomial equation with 4 variables will have a degree of 3, while an equation with 5 variables will have a degree of 4.

5. Why are polynomial equations with 4 variables important in science?

Polynomial equations with 4 variables are important in science because they can be used to model and describe complex systems and relationships. These equations can also help scientists make predictions and understand the behavior of various phenomena in the natural world.