How to make a large stern gerlach magnet

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a Stern-Gerlach magnet with a constant field gradient over a larger distance and no variation in the x and y axes. The purpose of the magnet must be perpendicular to the axis of the beam and a solenoid may not be suitable for this need. Suggestions are made for creating a solenoid with wider spaced winds, but it is noted that the field gradient may not be completely constant.
luiz1
Hello Forum,

Does anyone know of any references on the construction of a Stern-Gerlach magnet? Most of the references I have seen so far discuss magnets that provide a constant field gradient (in the z-axis) over a few millimetres. Since I have a circular beam of about 1 cm diameter, I need a constant gradient over a much larger distance and with no variation in the x and y.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
L

Physics news on Phys.org
Make a long solenoid?

what's needed here is not a constant field (as would be provided by a solenoid) but a constant field gradient.

oh okay.

Then make a solenoid that has continuously wider spaced winds

||||||.|.|.|.|.|.|..|..|..|..|..|..|...|...|...|...|...|...|...|...|...|...|...|...|...| ...etc

I don't know how close you want it to be to a "constant" gradient, but this is the idea i got right now...

Thank you for your efforts Curl, but I would like to respectfully suggest that you take a look at the purpose of a stern gerlach magnet. The constant field gradient must be perpendicular to the axis along which the beam travels. A solenoid may give a constant field gradient, but it will be parallel to the axis along which the beam travels.

Regards

Related to How to make a large stern gerlach magnet

1. How big of a magnet do I need for a large stern gerlach experiment?

The size of the magnet needed for a stern gerlach experiment depends on the size of the particles you are studying and the strength of the magnetic field you want to use. Typically, a magnet with a strength of 1 Tesla or more is recommended for a large stern gerlach experiment.

2. What materials are needed to make a large stern gerlach magnet?

The main materials needed to make a large stern gerlach magnet are a strong magnet, a non-magnetic support structure, and a power supply to generate a strong magnetic field. You may also need specialized tools for assembly and calibration.

3. Can I use a regular magnet for a stern gerlach experiment?

No, a regular magnet will not provide a strong enough magnetic field for a stern gerlach experiment. Specialized magnets with stronger magnetic fields are needed to achieve the desired results.

4. How do I calibrate a large stern gerlach magnet?

To calibrate a large stern gerlach magnet, you will need to use specialized equipment such as a gaussmeter to measure the strength and direction of the magnetic field. The magnet will need to be adjusted and fine-tuned until the desired field strength and direction is achieved.

5. Can I make my own large stern gerlach magnet instead of buying one?

It is possible to make your own large stern gerlach magnet, but it requires specialized knowledge and equipment. It may be more cost-effective to purchase a pre-made magnet from a reputable supplier to ensure accuracy and reliability in your experiments.