How to make the move from textbook to homework?

In summary, a physics major is seeking advice on how to better review and retain information for solving homework problems. Their current strategy involves highlighting and creating summaries, but they feel it is not effective. The suggested approach is to use retrieval practice, where one recalls information from memory without looking at notes or textbooks. Additionally, spacing out review and practice sessions and solving as many problems as possible are also recommended. It is important to resist the temptation to look at solutions prematurely and instead struggle with the problems on one's own.
BearShark
Hey,
I am a physics major and a new semester is about to begin. I think my biggest problem study wise is that I would go over the lecture notes and sometimes the textbook too, yet always feel ill equipped to tackle the homework problems.

Currently my strategy is to go over the text, highlighting anything I find odd so I can ask the professor in his office hours. I sometimes make my own summary too. However I feel like this does not prepare me to solve problems on the subject and if I don't practice something I do not retain it.

So, do people have any advice? I feel like I'm doing the whole "review" thing wrong.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
For reviewing the book or the lectures, try to use retrieval practice as much as you can. That means pulling things from your memory. Put the book and notes away, grab a blank sheet of paper, and write down everything you can recall as best you can. (Just rereading the book or your notes is not enough! It's very easy to think you've got it when you're looking at the book.)

Also try to space out your review and practice sessions. Studying 1 hour a day for three days is more productive than studying one 3-hour block.

None of that replaces the need for solving problems! Try to solve as many problems as you can. If you've struggled with a problem but finally "get it", try to solve it again a week later. (No looking up the solutions!) To save time, you can practice "setting up" the solution of problems without grinding through the arithmetic/algebra, but don't kid yourself -- practice is key!

If you have a problem set and solutions, resist the temptation to prematurely look at the solution. You must struggle with it on your own. (Again, it's easy to fool yourself into thinking you've got it when you look at the solution!)

Likes mr.tea and Stephenk53

Related to How to make the move from textbook to homework?

1. How can I apply the concepts learned in textbooks to my homework?

One way to apply textbook concepts to homework is by practicing solving problems and completing exercises related to the topic. This will help solidify your understanding and make it easier to apply the concepts in different contexts.

2. What if I don't understand the material in the textbook?

If you are struggling to understand the material in the textbook, try seeking help from a teacher, tutor, or classmate. You can also try looking for additional resources online or in the library.

3. Is it important to read the entire textbook before starting homework?

It is not necessary to read the entire textbook before starting homework, but it is important to have a good understanding of the material being covered. Skim through the chapter or section you will be working on to get an overview before diving into the homework.

4. Should I take notes while reading the textbook?

Taking notes while reading the textbook can be helpful, especially if you struggle with retaining information. Write down important concepts, formulas, and examples to refer back to while completing homework.

5. How can I make the transition from textbook to homework smoother?

To make the transition smoother, try to actively engage with the material while reading the textbook. This can include taking notes, asking questions, and summarizing key points. Also, try to work on homework problems as soon as possible after reading the related material to avoid forgetting important information.