How To Measure Amoung Of Energy Released

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's lack of expertise in physics and their idea of using Einstein's E = MC2 formula in calculating the energy used when a baseball is thrown. However, another participant in the conversation corrects the speaker's calculations and suggests using the equation E=mv2/2 to calculate the kinetic energy of the baseball. The conversation ends with the speaker realizing their mistake and attempting to use the correct equation.
phoenix_1326
To start with, I have never been in a physics class, nor am I an engineer. I am a computer programmer, and I love the science channel, so at best I am a bad amateur in this field of study. That being said...

I was thinking about calculations that could be used in games like Angry Birds, and I thought back to Einstein's E = MC2. I understand this formula is used to calculate the TOTAL energy released when mass is annihilated, but I thought there might be a way of using this formula to calculate the energy used when say a baseball is in flight. I had what I thought was a eureka moment when I came up with E = MC2 / A where A is the actual MPH the baseball is thrown at.

I looked up the mass of a baseball: 142 g. As I understand it, that makes M = .142
C = ~186,282
The pitcher can throw at 95 mph, so A = 95

As such...
E =.142(186,2822) / 95 = .142(34,700,983,524) / 95 = 4,927,539,660.408 / 95 = 51,868,838.53061053

E = ~5.27 Joules...or something like that

This of course is where I have run into a major issue. I have no idea if I am even looking at this problem the right way, or how it translates into even the digital world (let alone the real world where...according to other posts on this site...the "springy-ness" of the material comes into play as well as the size of the material vs. the size of the point of impact...ok, the head ache just hit).

Can someone break this down into a "general and laymen" understanding of what I'm looking at? I would greatly appreciate it...and I know my wife will as well...she knows I'm going to obsess on this for the next month or until I figure it out enough to satisfy me.

Physics news on Phys.org
phoenix_1326 said:
I had what I thought was a eureka moment when I came up with E = MC2 / A where A is the actual MPH the baseball is thrown at.

This doesn't really make sense. Dividing an energy by a speed does not give you an energy.

ModusPwnd said:
This doesn't really make sense. Dividing an energy by a speed does not give you an energy.

But speed is used to determine energy released in E = MC2. Why can't speed (which is a representation of a form of energy...kinetic?) be used? I'm not meaning to argue, I'm trying to understand...and I may be in WAY over my head at this point.

Modus is right, your calculation incorrect. The correct calculation to use is E=mv2/2. That gives you the kinetic energy based on the mass and the velocity of the object. Also, you need to use the metric system. You can't combine kilograms with MPH. You need to use kilograms and meters per second.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_energy

Ok, I think I understand now. I couldn't figure out what I was trying to measure earlier, so I just went with the first thing that popped into my mind. If I understood this correctly, then my earlier equation should look like this:

E=mv2/2

m = .142
v = 42.468799999999995

E = .142(42.4688^2) / 2 = .142(1803.59897344) / 2 = 256.11105422848 / 2 = 128.05552711424

Related to How To Measure Amoung Of Energy Released

1. How is energy released measured?

Energy released can be measured using various techniques such as calorimetry, thermometry, and spectroscopy. These methods involve measuring temperature change, heat flow, and light emission, respectively, to calculate the amount of energy released.

2. What units are used to measure energy released?

The most common unit used to measure energy released is joules (J). Other units such as calories (cal), kilowatt-hours (kWh), and electron volts (eV) may also be used depending on the context and type of energy being measured.

3. How does the type of reaction affect the measurement of energy released?

The type of reaction, whether it is exothermic (releasing energy) or endothermic (absorbing energy), can affect the measurement of energy released. In an exothermic reaction, the energy released can be directly measured using temperature changes or heat flow. However, in an endothermic reaction, the energy absorbed needs to be accounted for in the calculation of energy released.

4. Can energy released be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, energy released can be converted into other forms of energy such as mechanical, electrical, or chemical energy. This is the basis of many energy conversion processes used in various industries, such as power generation and transportation.

5. How accurate are the measurements of energy released?

The accuracy of energy released measurements depends on the precision of the instruments used and the experimental conditions. With advanced techniques and careful control of variables, energy released can be measured with high accuracy. However, there is always a margin of error in any measurement.