How to measure the mode of a FET

In summary, FETs are able to conduct a fixed max current depending on Vgs, but below that current, it is in ohmic mode.
jaydnul
1) When a FET is completely on, the voltage drop across the drain-source is ideally 0. This means that when completely on, [itex]V_{ds}<V_{gs}[/itex]. Why doesn't the FET go into ohmic/triode mode when [itex]V_{ds}[/itex] dips below [itex]V_{gs}[/itex] ?

2) Why are we measuring these voltages relative to the source (for a standard n-channel fet)? What is it about the geometry of the semiconductor that makes the operation predictable by measuring the voltages relative to the source?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
An interesting read but I still have my question. Why doesn't the FET drop into ohmic mode when the voltage at the drain drops below the gate? If the FET is fully on, the voltage is being only slightly dropped over drain-source.

It IS in ohmic mode when Vds < Vgs-Vth
For a given Vgs, as you increase the drain current the drain voltage increases "linearly" until it saturates.

Your second question is too basic to answer. Do you understand how an enhancement mode FET works?

meBigGuy said:
It IS in ohmic mode when Vds < Vgs-Vth
For a given Vgs, as you increase the drain current the drain voltage increases "linearly" until it saturates.

No, I mean a FET that is in saturation mode. In saturation, Rds is very small (usually fractions of an ohm, let's say its 1 ohm), so if Vgs is at a normal value (say 5v) then the drain current would have to be 5A or more to have a drain voltage higher than the gate voltage. This is what has me confused.

In saturation Vds can be low or high since FET saturation is a current limit. In saturation a fet is a current source/sink. Don't compare it to the saturation of a bipolar transistor which is constant voltage.

400px-IvsV_mosfet.svg.png

IN the saturation region you cannot increase the current for a given Vgs.

The ohmic region is more analogous to the bipolar transistor's saturation region, when increased drain current causes smaller (ohmic in the FET case) Vds increases..

Ideally, what is the voltage drop across the drain-source when the FET is a closed switch?

The Vds across the FET depends on Vgs and your definition of a closed switch (how much current is required).
Look at the above chart until you are positive you understand it. I don't think you do. You think you understand, but you are missing it.

Read this carefully: For a given Vgs (choose 5V) the voltage rises linearly with current until the channel cannot conduct more carriers. At 10 units of current it drops 1V. At 20 it drops 1.8V. When it reaches 21 units of current it is saturated. It can conduct no more current. If I increase the voltage from 4.5V to 10V, there is no increase in current because it is saturated. I can go to 100V and it will conduct no more current.

You are confused about the very big difference between BJT saturation and FET saturation.

Depending on Vgs, the FET can only conduct up to a maximum current, and no more. It is conducting its max current when it is saturated, and the voltage may be very high.

If it is in the ohmic region (easily conducts the required current) then the voltage drop is small.

Generally a FET is what we think of as a closed switch when it is ohmic.

A FET conducts a fixed max current depending on Vgs. Below that current, it is ohmic.

Ya I think I am confused, but I don't know where.
http://centers.njit.edu/ecelab/sites/ecelab/files/lcms/manuals/electrical-engineering/ece-291/291-10-4.gif

Let's say [itex]V_{th}=1V[/itex]. Starting at [itex]V_g=0V[/itex], [itex]V_d=15V[/itex] and the FET is cutoff. Now we instantaneously increase [itex]V_g[/itex] to [itex]2V[/itex]. Then [itex]V_d=15-I_d R_d[/itex], but to calculate [itex]I_d[/itex] we need to know the mode of operation since we will have two different equations for the drain current. BUT to know the mode of operation we need to know the current through [itex]R_d[/itex] to find [itex]V_d[/itex].

So essentially it looks like we need [itex]I_d[/itex] to calculate [itex]V_d[/itex] but we need [itex]V_d[/itex] to KNOW how to calculate [itex]I_d[/itex] (which equation).

Actually I think I got it. So in my circuit above, in order to keep the FET in saturation, are you forced to choose the resistor value such that [itex](15 - I_{Dsat}R_D)>V_{GS}[/itex]?

Ok, I understand now. I was confused because I kept reading that you almost always want to avoid the linear region, but the linear region they were talking about was when the FET is in the process of turning on. That's why...

meBigGuy said:
Generally a FET is what we think of as a closed switch when it is ohmic.

...didn't get through my thick skull the first time I read it. I'm sorry, but what a terrible choice of words; bjt saturation is different from fet saturation, calling the region where the fet is turning on "the linear region" when you already have a mode of operation called the linear region, etc. What are these engineers doing? haha

Anyways, thanks for the help!

Related to How to measure the mode of a FET

1. What is a FET and why is it important to measure its mode?

A FET, or Field Effect Transistor, is a type of semiconductor device used in electronic circuits. It is important to measure its mode, or operational state, in order to understand its behavior and performance in a circuit.

2. How do I measure the mode of a FET?

The mode of a FET can be measured by using a multimeter or oscilloscope to measure the voltage and current at different points in the circuit. The resulting data can then be used to determine the mode of the FET.

3. What are the different modes of a FET?

There are three main modes of a FET: cutoff, triode, and saturation. In cutoff mode, the FET is essentially turned off and there is no current flow. In triode mode, the FET is partially conducting and acts like a variable resistor. In saturation mode, the FET is fully conducting and acts like a closed switch.

4. What factors can affect the mode of a FET?

The mode of a FET can be affected by several factors, including the voltage and current applied to the FET, the temperature of the FET, and the characteristics of the surrounding circuit components.

5. Why is it important to accurately measure the mode of a FET?

Accurately measuring the mode of a FET is important because it allows for proper circuit design and troubleshooting. Different modes of a FET have different effects on circuit performance, so understanding the mode can help ensure desired functionality and identify potential issues.