How to Model the Volume of Water in a Graduated Cylinder with a Hole?

In summary, a user is seeking help on how to model a differential equation for the volume of water in a graduated cylinder with a hole at the bottom. They are not allowed to use Torricelli's law or Bernoulli's principle directly, but can show the derivation. Some key measurements needed are the initial volume, radius of outlet, radius of cylinder, and initial height of water. The user has been trying to use conservation of energy but is struggling to match the first data point.
RagincajunLA
Hey guys, its my first time posting and i really need some help with a problem.
I have an experiment of a graduated cylinder with a hole at the bottom of it. I basically need to model a differential equation to give the volume of water in the cylinder at any given time. I am not allowed to directly use torriciellis law or bernoullis principal, but i can show the derivation of them for the answer.

A few key measurements that are needed are:
Initial Volume = 1000cm^3 = .001m^3
radius of outlet=.0018m
radius of cylinder = .031m
Initial height of water = .36m

All help would be appreciated, I am really stuck and have been at this for hours :/

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't think of anything not involving Bernoulli's. What have you been learning in class?

well the thing is, we can't explicitly use bernoullis/torricielli's but if we show the derivation, then that's ok. I was on the track of using conservation of energy to find the velocity of the water leaving the cylinder. but when i do everything out and find the equation for volume, I am very far off from the first data point which is t=3.4s and volume=950cm^3=9.5e-4

FAQ: How to Model the Volume of Water in a Graduated Cylinder with a Hole?

1. How do you measure the volume of a liquid using a graduated cylinder?

The volume of a liquid can be measured by using a graduated cylinder. First, fill the graduated cylinder with the liquid and make sure to note the starting volume. Then, read the volume of the liquid by looking at the bottom of the meniscus, the curved surface of the liquid, and record the final volume. The difference between the final and starting volume is the volume of the liquid.

2. What is the unit of measurement for the volume of a graduated cylinder?

The unit of measurement for the volume of a graduated cylinder is typically milliliters (mL) or cubic centimeters (cm3). These units are equivalent, so they can be used interchangeably.

3. How do you determine the accuracy of a graduated cylinder?

The accuracy of a graduated cylinder can be determined by checking the graduated markings on the cylinder. These markings represent the volume measurements and should be evenly spaced and clearly labeled. Additionally, you can compare the measured volume with the known volume of the liquid to determine the accuracy.

4. Can you measure the volume of a solid using a graduated cylinder?

Yes, the volume of a solid can be measured using a graduated cylinder by using the displacement method. First, fill the graduated cylinder with a known volume of water and record the volume. Then, carefully place the solid object into the cylinder and record the new volume. The difference between the two volumes is the volume of the solid object.

5. How do you handle parallax when measuring the volume of a graduated cylinder?

To avoid parallax, make sure to view the graduated cylinder at eye level when taking volume measurements. This means that the level of the liquid should align with the markings on the cylinder when viewed from the side. Also, make sure to read the bottom of the meniscus to get an accurate measurement.