How to obtain maxwell relations

In summary, a Maxwell relation is a mathematical relationship between variables in a thermodynamic system. It can be derived from the fact that the mixed second partial derivatives of a function H are equal, where H is defined as E-Ts and represents the total energy of the system. This relationship can be helpful in solving specific problems, such as finding the derivative of entropy with respect to length at constant temperature.
B-80
Hey, I have had a lot of trouble understanding how one obtains a Maxwell relation.

So let's say in general I know(from a specific problem)

T ds = dE - F dL

where F is a tension and L is a length, E is the energy T is the temperature and S is the entropy of a system.

In a specific problem I am asked to compute

ds/dL at constant Temp.

I have an expression for F and it turns out that ds/dL = dF/dT but I don't know how one arrives at this point.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Write it as dE = T ds + F dL. Define a function H = E - Ts, for which dH = - s dT + F dL. The Maxwell relation follows from the fact that the mixed second partial derivatives of H are equal:

2H/∂T∂L = ∂2H/∂L∂T which is - (∂s/∂L) = ∂F/∂T

(Did you have the signs right?)

Related to How to obtain maxwell relations

1. What are Maxwell Relations?

Maxwell Relations are a set of equations that relate thermodynamic properties of a system to each other. They are derived from the four fundamental thermodynamic potentials: internal energy, Helmholtz energy, enthalpy, and Gibbs energy.

2. How do I obtain Maxwell Relations?

To obtain Maxwell Relations, you need to use the first and second laws of thermodynamics, along with basic calculus. You can also use the exact differential form of thermodynamic potentials to derive these equations.

3. What are the applications of Maxwell Relations?

Maxwell Relations are used to simplify thermodynamic calculations and to establish relationships between different thermodynamic properties. They are also important in understanding the behavior of various thermodynamic systems.

4. Are there any limitations to Maxwell Relations?

Maxwell Relations are only applicable to thermodynamic systems that can be described using the four fundamental thermodynamic potentials. They also assume that the system is in equilibrium and that the properties are continuous and differentiable.

5. Can Maxwell Relations be used for non-ideal systems?

Yes, Maxwell Relations can be applied to non-ideal systems. However, they may not always provide accurate results due to the assumptions and limitations mentioned earlier. In these cases, more complex equations and models may need to be used.