How to phrase a hypothesis for simulated model on a experiment report?

In summary, the conversation discusses setting up an experiment for a simulation and formulating a hypothesis. The model used in the simulation only includes two attributes - one independent and one dependent - and is not representative of real life. The question is how to state this explicitly and formally in the hypothesis. The initial thought is to state that if the independent attribute is increased, then the dependent attribute will also increase, assuming no other factors affect the dependent attribute in the simulation. The conversation also mentions controlling variables in the experiment and the general topic of factors affecting human behaviors in a civic context.
Eng Student 357

Homework Statement

I'm setting up an experiment for a simulation. I'm not sure how to formulate the hypothesis. The model used in the simulation is the first iteration, so I'm just using 2 attributes, 1 independent (A) and 1 dependent (B). As a result, I need to state explicitly that this model is not representative of real life, and just used as step in extending the model. In real life there are many other factors which we could assume are included, but I'm not simulating these yet.

So my question is, how do I state this explicitly (and formally) as part of my hypothesis?

2. Homework Equations

My initial thought is to state the hypothesis as:

If A is increased, then B will increase.​

The Attempt at a Solution

With assumptions made:

If A is increased, then B will increase, assuming for the purpose of the simulation no other attributes affect B.​

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
I need to state explicitly that this model is not representative of real life, and just used as step in extending the model. In real life there are many other factors which we could assume are included, but I'm not simulating these yet.
... you just did: say that.
If A is increased, then B will increase, assuming for the purpose of the simulation no other attributes affect B.
... you don't need the assumption - you are simulating the results of an experiment where there is strict control of variables, so only one will be allowed to vary and the other measured.

The description is very abstract though - is there some reason you cannot tell us what you are simulating?

Thank you, Simon. That's helpful. Glad I was on the right track.

I wanted to keep it general. It has to do with factors affecting human behaviors in a civic context.

Related to How to phrase a hypothesis for simulated model on a experiment report?

1. What is a hypothesis in a simulated experiment?

A hypothesis in a simulated experiment is a statement that predicts the outcome of the experiment based on the simulation model. It is an educated guess that can be tested and either supported or rejected by the data collected from the simulation.

2. How do you phrase a hypothesis for a simulated experiment?

A hypothesis for a simulated experiment should be in the form of an "if-then" statement. It should clearly state the independent and dependent variables and how they are expected to be related. For example, "If the temperature of the simulation is increased, then the rate of reaction will also increase."

3. Can a hypothesis for a simulated experiment be proven?

No, a hypothesis for a simulated experiment cannot be proven. The purpose of an experiment is to test the hypothesis and either support or reject it based on the data collected. However, even if the data supports the hypothesis, it does not mean that it is proven to be true.

4. What is the importance of having a hypothesis in a simulated experiment?

A hypothesis is important in a simulated experiment because it provides a clear direction and purpose for the experiment. It helps to guide the design and execution of the simulation and provides a basis for comparison of the results. It also allows for the testing of specific variables and relationships.

5. How do you determine the validity of a hypothesis for a simulated experiment?

The validity of a hypothesis for a simulated experiment can be determined by analyzing the data collected from the simulation. If the data supports the predicted relationship between the variables, then the hypothesis is considered to be valid. However, if the data does not support the hypothesis, it may need to be revised or rejected. Additionally, the consistency and reproducibility of the results can also contribute to the validity of the hypothesis.