How to predict the volume of a tank of water at any time? (fluid motion)

In summary, the volume of the tank at any time t is given by: ΔP = 8μLQ / πr^4ΔP = ρgΔhVolume of tank = πr^2h
Zaxo3000
We have a cylindrical tank of known dimensions. Attached at the bottom is a pipe perpendicular to the tank of known dimensions. We fill the tank with a liquid and let it drain out through the pipe. What formula will predict the volume of the tank at any time t? I believe the Hagen–Poiseuille equation (involves the viscosity of the liquid) and Pascal's law (involves the density of the liquid) are involved, but i cannot derive an equation for the volume at any time. All working and any explanation where ever necessary would be appreciated.

Heres my attempt at it:
ΔP = 8μLQ / πr^4

ΔP is the pressure drop
L is the length of pipe
μ is the dynamic viscosity
Q is the volumetric flow rate
r is the radius

ΔP = ρgΔh

g is acceleration due to gravity
ρ is the fluid density
Δh is the height of fluid

ΔP = 8μLQ / πr^4
ΔP = ρgΔh
Volume of tank = πr^2h
8μLQ / πr^4 = ρgΔh
Q = ρgΔh ✕ πr^4 / 8μL

This is essentially equal to Q = k Δh where k is = ρg ✕ πr^4 / 8μL
Im fairly sure is is redundant however as of course the rate of flow is proportional to the change in height of water as when the Δh is multiplied by the area of the circular face of the tank it will give the volume of the cylinder of water which has left through the pipe during the Δh. There has to be an equation for the relationship I am looking for as the results of the test will be consistent.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Is you tank horizontal or vertical? This will govern the method to apply.

edgepflow said:
Is you tank horizontal or vertical? This will govern the method to apply.
Its a vertical standing tank, on its circular face.

edgepflow said:
This is just the classic tank drain problem. All my best books are at work but try

http://www.lmnoeng.com/Tank/TankTime.htm
Thanks edgepflow for the link. However that websites seems to be focused more on a Torricelli's law situation, which was created for holes. It does appear to take into account an oriface discharge constant but only relates it to the type of hole. As a large part of my experiment will be testing different viscosity and lengths of the pipe, a formula (such as the Hagen–Poiseuille equation) which takes these both into account is something that should be part of the answer.

Zaxo3000 said:
Thanks edgepflow for the link. However that websites seems to be focused more on a Torricelli's law situation, which was created for holes. It does appear to take into account an oriface discharge constant but only relates it to the type of hole. As a large part of my experiment will be testing different viscosity and lengths of the pipe, a formula (such as the Hagen–Poiseuille equation) which takes these both into account is something that should be part of the answer.
I think you can modify this treatment to include your other effects as follows:

DP = rho * g * h = KT * rho * v^2/2 + f (L/D) * rho * v^2/2

K = sum of all resistance coefficients (including opening)
L = length of pipe
and the rest are the usual meening.

Note that you can capture your viscosity effects with correlations for f that depend on Reynold's Number.

So solve this above equation for Q as a function h.

Then, as was done in the link: Integrate Q(h) = -A dh/dt.

Related to How to predict the volume of a tank of water at any time? (fluid motion)

1. How is the volume of a tank of water predicted at any given time?

The volume of a tank of water can be predicted using fluid dynamics principles, specifically the continuity equation which states that the volume flow rate into a control volume must equal the volume flow rate out of the control volume.

2. What factors affect the volume of a tank of water?

The volume of a tank of water is affected by several factors including the dimensions of the tank, the initial volume of water, the rate of inflow and outflow, and any changes in temperature or pressure.

3. Can the volume of a tank of water change over time?

Yes, the volume of a tank of water can change over time due to factors such as evaporation, inflow and outflow rates, and changes in temperature or pressure which can affect the density of the water.

4. How accurate are predictions of the volume of a tank of water?

The accuracy of predictions for the volume of a tank of water depends on the accuracy of the input parameters, such as the measurements of the tank dimensions and the inflow and outflow rates. Additionally, any changes in environmental factors can affect the accuracy of the prediction.

5. Are there any limitations to predicting the volume of a tank of water?

Predicting the volume of a tank of water is based on fluid dynamics principles and as such, there are limitations to the accuracy of the prediction. These limitations include simplifying assumptions made in the calculations and any unforeseen changes in environmental factors that may affect the volume of water in the tank.