How to predict which elements will have a certain oxidation state?

In summary, the conversation revolves around preparing for a test and figuring out how to name elements with a specific maximum oxidation state. The person mentions the possibility of using valence electrons to determine this, but also expresses concern about having to memorize this information on top of the periodic table for the test.
LogicX

Homework Statement

I have a test coming up and some of the practice questions were things like "Name 6 elements with a maximum oxidation state of +7" or some other number like +8, +6, etc. How do I go about doing this?

The Attempt at a Solution

There is the obvious trick of counting valence electrons, but past that how do I figure stuff like this out? How do i know which noble gases have what oxidation states?

I already have to memorize the periodic table for this test, I'd hate to have to memorize all the random oxidation states of elements too.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know PT, valence electrons depend on the position of the element.

Related to How to predict which elements will have a certain oxidation state?

1. How can I determine the oxidation state of an element?

The oxidation state of an element can be determined by analyzing its electron configuration and the number of valence electrons present. The oxidation state is equal to the charge of the element when it is in a compound.

2. What factors influence the oxidation state of an element?

The oxidation state of an element is influenced by the number of valence electrons, the electronegativity of the element, and the type of compound it is present in. Other factors such as bond polarity and the presence of other elements can also have an effect.

3. How does the periodic table help in predicting oxidation states?

The periodic table provides a systematic way of organizing elements based on their properties, including their oxidation states. Elements in the same group or column tend to have similar oxidation states due to their similar electron configurations.

4. Can an element have more than one possible oxidation state?

Yes, many elements can have multiple oxidation states depending on the compound they are present in. Some elements, such as transition metals, can have a wide range of oxidation states.

5. Are there any exceptions to the patterns of oxidation states in the periodic table?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the patterns of oxidation states in the periodic table. These exceptions are often due to the unique properties of specific elements, such as the stability of half-filled or completely filled subshells.