How to properly solve a double integral for calculating volume?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with a double integral that involves calculating the volume of a cylinder cut by a plane. The individual seeking help has tried two different methods but has encountered a sign error causing cancellation. The expert suggests trying polar coordinates as an alternative approach.
Telemachus

Homework Statement

Hi there. I have this problem with double integral, which says: calculate using a double integral the volume limited by the given surfaces: [tex]x^2+y^2=4[/tex], [tex]z=4-y[/tex] [tex]z=0[/tex]

Its a cylinder cut by a plane.

At first I've did this integral: [tex]\displaystyle\int_{-2}^{2}\displaystyle\int_{-\sqrt[ ]{4-x^2}}^{\sqrt[ ]{4-x^2}}(4-y)dydx[/tex]

The thing is that when I solve this the terms null them selves and it gives zero. There is evidently something that I'm doing wrong, I've realized that I'm taking off a half of the volume to the other, so I think I'm defining one part of the area over which I'm making the integral as negative. Is this true? And the thing is: How do I solve this properly? I've introduced this double integral into mathematica and it solved it and gave [tex]16\pi[/tex]. So, its clear I'm doing something wrong

I also thought on trying other way: [tex]2\displaystyle\int_{0}^{2}\displaystyle\int_{0}^{\sqrt[ ]{4-y^2}}(4-y)dxdy=2\displaystyle\int_{0}^{2}(4x-yx)_0^{\sqrt[ ]{4-y^2}}dy=2\displaystyle\int_{0}^{2}(4\sqrt[ ]{4-y^2}-y (\sqrt[ ]{4-y^2}))dy}[/tex]
But it gets more complicated that way.

Bye there, and thanks for helping.

Physics news on Phys.org
Telemachus said:

Homework Statement

Hi there. I have this problem with double integral, which says: calculate using a double integral the volume limited by the given surfaces: [tex]x^2+y^2=4[/tex], [tex]z=4-y[/tex] [tex]z=0[/tex]

Its a cylinder cut by a plane.

At first I've did this integral: [tex]\displaystyle\int_{-2}^{2}\displaystyle\int_{-\sqrt[ ]{4-x^2}}^{\sqrt[ ]{4-x^2}}(4-y)dydx[/tex]

You have set it up correctly. Without seeing your work I can only guess that you have a sign error somewhere to cause the cancellation.

Having said that, still I would suggest you set it up in polar coordinates in the first place.

Thanks.

Related to How to properly solve a double integral for calculating volume?

1. What is a double integral problem?

A double integral problem is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the area under a surface in a two-dimensional space. It is a type of integral that uses two variables to integrate a function over a region in a coordinate plane.

2. How is a double integral problem solved?

A double integral problem is typically solved by first setting up the integral using the limits of integration and the function to be integrated. Then, the integral is evaluated using techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions.

3. What are the applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have various applications in physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to calculate the area under a curve, find the volume of a solid, determine the center of mass of an object, and solve optimization problems.

4. What are the differences between a single and double integral?

The main difference between a single and double integral is the number of variables involved. A single integral uses one variable to integrate a function over an interval, while a double integral uses two variables to integrate a function over a region in a two-dimensional plane.

5. What are the common mistakes made when solving double integral problems?

Some common mistakes made when solving double integral problems include incorrect setup of the integral, using the wrong limits of integration, and not properly evaluating the integral. It is also important to pay attention to the order of integration, as switching the order can lead to different results.

Back