How to protect liquid filled pods from leaking on a plane

In summary, The company is looking for a way to prevent the pods from leaking during air travel. They are considering using a shrink wrap machine to wrap the box, but are worried about customer satisfaction. They also consider using a BDH type container, but think that it is too expensive.
Joey O
I need a little help from anyone capable...

My company is looking to ship 1000s of the packages around the US, the problem is as follows:

The packages contains pods in pic related - they have liquid in them, and sometimes during air travel, the difference in pressure causes them to leak. We can send them ground, but the cost is more than triple

They are only 6oz packages so if we use first class USPS, its very cheap. However we need to address the issue of leaking.

Is there anyway to protect the pods from being exposed to this - such as using a shrink wrap machine to wrap the box - we have one, and the plastic on it is quite thick. As far as what I've found, the pressure in cargo is approx 8000ft, or around 10 psi, so there is a difference of 5.

Will the plastic seal, if air-tight, prevent this, the plastic shouldn't burst because it is thick... or is there some other way I should consider?

Attachments

• juno-tobacco-kit-900x900.jpg
    juno-tobacco-kit-900x900.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 699
Physics news on Phys.org
It is difficult to tell the actual storage configuration, but there are three basic ways to avoid rupture:
1. Make it strong enough to withstand the pressure difference.
2. Fill it completely so there is no air and therefore no change in volume with a change in pressure.
3. Leave slack/flexible material for expansion.

Joey O said:
The packages contains pods in pic related - they have liquid in them, and sometimes during air travel, the difference in pressure causes them to leak. We can send them ground, but the cost is more than triple
Package orientation is indeterminate when being shipped, which could explain why some leak and others do not.

russ_watters said:
It is difficult to tell the actual storage configuration, but there are three basic ways to avoid rupture:
1. Make it strong enough to withstand the pressure difference.
2. Fill it completely so there is no air and therefore no change in volume with a change in pressure.
3. Leave slack/flexible material for expansion.
Another alternative would be to pack them in a pressurised box that would maintain the pods at atmospheric pressure at any height.
Though, personally, I think it would be better if the whole contents were to leak out and be lost. In my opinion, it's horrid stuff. But that's easy for me (a non-smoker) to say.

Joey O said:
We can send them ground
Even ground shipments sometimes use highways that cross mountain passes higher than 8000'.

Can you use something inexpensive such as a loose fitting sandwich bag containing one pod? The bag is there only to catch leakage.

But, I don't think that your customers will be happy until you find a way to prevent the pods from leaking in the first place.

They would survive well enough in one of those BDH(?) cylindrical box. They have a screwed lid and a rubber seal and I'd bet they wouldn't leak at cabin pressure although they are basically designed for immersion under water. Most modern holds are at cabin pressure these days (2000m)
Problem is that I haven't seen a BDH box for a long time. The equivalent must be available under another name.

Id imagine those boxes exceed the cost that we would want to spend on this. I guess the company decided to just say screw it and send them anyway. We did a test, some leaked, most didnt

Joey O said:
Id imagine those boxes exceed the cost that we would want to spend on this. I guess the company decided to just say screw it and send them anyway. We did a test, some leaked, most didnt
It strikes me that it's more a matter of quality control in sealing of the pods. Aerosol cans have been working fine for decades under reduced ambient pressure and the company just needs to sort out its design better.
The BDH type containers are maybe over the top and I appreciate it's all about profit margins. But faulty goods are not popular with customers who very likely would want to be able to fly with what they have bought.

The pods can't be sealed completely, there needs to be an airway to allow air to flow through the coil and vaporize the liquid. It's not that they are faulty, they are that way by design. They don't seem to all leak either, and we can't be sure why, several of us have flown with them and the pods do not leak, but it seems like on FedEx or USPS planes they sometimes do, with a low failure rate, maybe 5%

Perhaps when they fail, the plane hold is unpressurised. 50,000 ft not 2,000ft cabin pressure.

@Joey O , On second thought, there is something very wrong in your description in the OP. Either your packaging is faulty, or your description of the handling is wrong. Hundreds or thousands of products using liquid filled pods are shipped every day without reports of leakage problems. Dishwasher detergent pods shown in the picture are an example. In the USA, many are shipped across the Rocky Mountains where elevations greater than 8000' are normal.

GTY_deterg_ml_130816_16x9_992.jpg

I conclude that you are asking the wrong question. Instead of dealing with leakage, you should be investigating what causes the leaks.

One last thought. You did not say what the liquid is. Could it be something with a coefficient of thermal expansion is unusually high?

Likes sophiecentaur

FAQ: How to protect liquid filled pods from leaking on a plane

1. How can I prevent my liquid filled pods from leaking on a plane?

There are a few ways to prevent your liquid filled pods from leaking on a plane. One option is to make sure they are properly sealed before packing them in your luggage. You can also put them in a plastic bag or container to contain any potential leaks. Additionally, try to pack them in an upright position to minimize the chances of them getting jostled and causing a leak.

2. Can I bring liquid filled pods on a plane?

Yes, you can bring liquid filled pods on a plane as long as they comply with the TSA's regulations for liquids. This means they must be in containers that are 3.4 ounces or less and all containers must fit in a single quart-sized bag. It's also a good idea to check with your specific airline to see if they have any additional restrictions.

3. What should I do if my liquid filled pods leak during the flight?

If your liquid filled pods do happen to leak during the flight, immediately notify a flight attendant. They may be able to provide you with a plastic bag or paper towels to contain and clean up the spill. It's also a good idea to have a spare plastic bag or container to store the leaking pods in.

4. Are there any specific precautions I should take when traveling with liquid filled pods?

Aside from making sure they comply with TSA regulations and are properly sealed, it's also important to take into consideration the altitude and pressure changes during the flight. This can cause the liquid to expand and potentially cause leaks. To prevent this, try to release any excess air from the pods before packing them.

5. Can I bring an empty liquid filled pod on a plane?

Yes, you can bring an empty liquid filled pod on a plane. However, it's still important to make sure it complies with TSA regulations and is properly sealed to prevent any potential leaks. It's also a good idea to clean the pod before packing it to avoid any issues with residue or odors.