How to prove that Cosh(x) = Cos(ix)

• Thread starter cocopops12
  • Start date
In summary, using Euler's identity and Laplace transformations, it can be proven that Cosh(x) = Cos(ix), Cosh(ix) = Cos(x), Sin(ix) = i Sinh(x), and Sinh(ix) = i Sin(x). This is done by deriving formulas for cosine and sine that only involve exponentials and using Laplace transformations to show their equivalence.
cocopops12
i know that Cosh(x) = (E^x + E^-x ) / 2

how do i prove that Cosh(x) = Cos(ix) , where i is the imaginary unit
similarly Cosh(ix) = Cos(x)

and Sin(ix) = i Sinh(x)
similarly Sinh(ix) = i Sin(x)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you know any formulas for cosine and sine that relate to exponentials?

yeah of course Euler's identity
e^ix = cos(x) + isin(x)
but i still can't do it :(

I should have been more clear, sorry. I meant a formula that only involves cosine and exponentials and a formula that only involves sines and exponentials. The cosine formula won't have sines in it and vice versa. Once you have those formulas, this becomes trivial to prove as you'll see.

scurty said:
I should have been more clear, sorry. I meant a formula that only involves cosine and exponentials and a formula that only involves sines and exponentials. The cosine formula won't have sines in it and vice versa. Once you have those formulas, this becomes trivial to prove as you'll see.

Best of all, you can derive these from Euler's identity: write down [itex]e^{ix}[/itex] and [itex]e^{-ix}[/itex] using it, and then add the two equations or subtract them to derive the relevant equations.

i have those formulas too, but i don't understand how they got them

cocopops12 said:
yeah of course Euler's identity
e^ix = cos(x) + isin(x)
but i still can't do it :(
e^ix = cos(x) + isin(x)
e^-ix = cos(x) - isin(x)

Add to get 2cos(x), subtract to get 2isin(x).

I presume you can do the rest.

it's clear now! thanks sir!

Easy! Just need a Laplace transformation sheet; then look at the transformation of cos(a*t), it says that L{cos(a*t)}=s/(s^2+a^2). That means that the inverse Laplace transformation of s/(s^2+a^2) is cos(at), right.
L^(-1){s/(s^2+a^2)}=cos(a*t)

Then ask yourself... Which is the inverse Laplace transformation of s/(s^2-1)?
that means your a^2 would be -1 so a=sqrt(-1)=i
then L^(-1){s/(s^2-1)}=L^(-1){s/(s^2+i)}=cos(i*t)

Now let do that by partial fractions:
L^(-1){s/(s^2-1)}=L^(-1){A/(s-1)+B/(s+1)}
s/(s^2-1)=A/(s-1)+B/(s+1); then
s/[(s-1)*(s+1)]=A/(s-1)+B/(s+1); then if you multiplie that equation for (s-1)(s+1) you got
s=A*(s+1)+B*(s-1); then
s=A*s+A+B*s-B=(A+B)*s+(A-B); now you got a equation system;
s=(A+B)*s and 0=A-B
A+B=1 and A-B=0; if you resolve
A=1/2=B; so
L^(-1){A/(s-1)+B/(s+1)}=L^(-1){(1/2)/(s-1)+(1/2)/(s+1)}=L^(-1){(1/2)/(s-1)}+L^(-1){(1/2)/(s+1)}=
(1/2)*L^(-1){1/(s-1)}+(1/2)*L^(-1){1/(s+1)}=(1/2)*(L^(-1){1/(s-1)}+L^(-1){1/(s+1)})

If you look at the inverse Laplace transformation formula for 1/(s-a) you will see e^(a*t) so
L^(-1){1/(s-1)}=e^t
and
L^(-1){1/(s+1)}=e^-t
so
(1/2)*(L^(-1){1/(s-1)}+L^(-1){1/(s+1)})=(1/2)*(e^t+e^-t)=(e^t+e^-t)/2=cosh(t)
so cos(i*t)=cosh(t)

It's the same process to proof sen(i*t)=senh(t)

Likes Kasikh

FAQ: How to prove that Cosh(x) = Cos(ix)

1. How can I prove that Cosh(x) = Cos(ix)?

Using the definition of Cosh(x) and Cos(ix), we can rewrite Cosh(x) as (e^x + e^-x)/2 and Cos(ix) as (e^ix + e^-ix)/2. By using Euler's formula (e^ix = Cos(x) + iSin(x)), we can see that e^-ix = Cos(x) - iSin(x). Substituting these values into the expressions for Cosh(x) and Cos(ix) and simplifying will show that they are equal.

2. Is there another way to prove that Cosh(x) = Cos(ix)?

Yes, another approach is to use the hyperbolic identities. Cosh(x) can also be expressed as (1 + Tanh^2(x))/2 and Cos(ix) can be expressed as (1 - Tanh^2(x))/2. By substituting the value of Tanh(ix) (using Tanh(ix) = -iTan(x)), we can see that both expressions are equal.

3. Can I use a graph to prove that Cosh(x) = Cos(ix)?

Yes, a graph can also be used to show that Cosh(x) and Cos(ix) are equal. By plotting the two functions on the same graph, we can see that they have the same shape and intersect at multiple points. This visually demonstrates their equality.

4. Are there any other related trigonometric identities that can help prove Cosh(x) = Cos(ix)?

Yes, there is the identity Cosh^2(x) - Sinh^2(x) = 1, which is equivalent to Cos^2(ix) - Sin^2(ix) = 1. By substituting the values of Cosh(x) and Sinh(x) (using Sinh(x) = (e^x - e^-x)/2), we can see that both expressions are equal.

5. Can Cosh(x) = Cos(ix) be proven using induction?

No, induction is not a suitable method for proving this identity as it is only valid for integer values of x and ix, but the identity holds for all real values of x.