How to prove that fn converges uniformly on {z:|z|≤p}

In summary, the conversation is discussing the proof that the sequence {fn} converges uniformly on the set {z:|z|≤p}, where p is a positive real number and fn(z)=sin(z/n). The speaker is having trouble understanding some of the inequalities used in the proof, particularly the use of approximation signs and the manipulation of the inequality for |z|≤p. They are also unsure about setting x=y=p in the proof.
binbagsss
I am trying to show {fn} converges uniformly on {z:|z|≤p}, where p is postiive real number.
and fn(z)=sin(z/n).

I am able to follow parts of my books method, but don't understand a couple of the inequalities...(my trouble lies in the inequalities rather than the main concepts involved in the method).

Sol:

I can see the pointwise limit is 0.

I am using the theorem that 'If for each n, we can find a sequence Sn, s.t |fn(z)-f(z)|≤Sn, and lim n→∞ Sn=0, then {fn} converges uniformly to f(z)'

So I am to consider: |Sin(z/n)-0|and looking for a Sn with the above properties.

so let z=x+iy and we attain |Sin(z/n)-0| = |Sin(x/n)cosh(y/n)+icos(x/n)sinh(y/n)| which is fine.

we than get |sin(x/n)cosh(y/n)+icos(x/n)sinh(y/n)|≤|sin(x/n)cosh(y/n)|+|sinh(y/n)|*
, which I am not 100% sure on.
I can see we have applied the triangle inequality. But on the right hand-term we have clearly applied another inequaliity , is this that |icos(x/n)| ≤1??

It then says for |z|≤p**:

|sin(x/n)cosh(y/n)|+|sinh(y/n)|≤(p/n)cosh(p/n)+sinh (p/n).

I'm not too sure about this inequality, for two reasons:
1) I think from * we have used that sin (x/n) ≈ (x/n) for small (x/n), but why don't we use a approximation sign rather than inequality?
2) MAIN question really - I'm not too sure how we have used ** ? haven't we set x=y=p. I'm having great difficulty understanding why we do this, I can see we have lost the absolute value signs...

Many Thanks for any help, really appreciated ! :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:
I am trying to show {fn} converges uniformly on {z:|z|≤p}, where p is postiive real number.
and fn(z)=sin(z/n).

I am able to follow parts of my books method, but don't understand a couple of the inequalities...(my trouble lies in the inequalities rather than the main concepts involved in the method).

Sol:

I can see the pointwise limit is 0.

I am using the theorem that 'If for each n, we can find a sequence Sn, s.t |fn(z)-f(z)|≤Sn, and lim n→∞ Sn=0, then {fn} converges uniformly to f(z)'

So I am to consider: |Sin(z/n)-0|and looking for a Sn with the above properties.

so let z=x+iy and we attain |Sin(z/n)-0| = |Sin(x/n)cosh(y/n)+icos(x/n)sinh(y/n)| which is fine.

we than get |sin(x/n)cosh(y/n)+icos(x/n)sinh(y/n)|≤|sin(x/n)cosh(y/n)|+|sinh(y/n)|*
, which I am not 100% sure on.
I can see we have applied the triangle inequality. But on the right hand-term we have clearly applied another inequaliity , is this that |icos(x/n)| ≤1??

It then says for |z|≤p**:

|sin(x/n)cosh(y/n)|+|sinh(y/n)|≤(p/n)cosh(p/n)+sinh (p/n).

I'm not too sure about this inequality, for two reasons:
1) I think from * we have used that sin (x/n) ≈ (x/n) for small (x/n), but why don't we use a approximation sign rather than inequality?
2) MAIN question really - I'm not too sure how we have used ** ? haven't we set x=y=p. I'm having great difficulty understanding why we do this, I can see we have lost the absolute value signs...

Many Thanks for any help, really appreciated ! :)

They are using such facts as, i) if r is real, then |cos(r)|<=1, ii) if r is real then |sin(r)|<=|r|. The usual sorts of things you know about sin and cos as real functions. They are also using that if |x+iy|<=p then |x|<=p and |y|<=p.

FAQ: How to prove that fn converges uniformly on {z:|z|≤p}

1. What is the definition of a limit in mathematics?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. It represents the value that a function is approaching, but may never actually reach, as the input gets closer and closer to a particular value.

2. How is the equality of limits determined?

The equality of limits can be determined by evaluating the limit of each function separately and then comparing the results. If the limits of both functions are equal, then the equality of limits is satisfied.

3. What is meant by a complex limit?

A complex limit refers to a limit of a function whose input and output are complex numbers. In other words, the function has a complex number as its independent variable and a complex number as its dependent variable.

4. Can a limit exist if the function is not defined at the limit point?

Yes, a limit can exist even if the function is not defined at the limit point. This is because the limit only considers the behavior of the function as the input approaches the limit point, not the actual value of the function at that point.

5. How is the concept of a limit used in real-world applications?

The concept of a limit is used in many real-world applications, such as in physics to describe the motion of objects, in economics to model supply and demand, and in engineering to design and optimize systems. It allows us to make predictions and analyze the behavior of complex systems by understanding how they change in response to changing inputs.