How to prove units when you have logs in an equation

• Thread starter gtbiyb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units
In summary: Hi,What happens when, following a numerical calculation, you have to prove the units but the equation has logs?For example:ln P = (ln z1 - ln z2)/(z1 - z2)So as the RHS will simplify to a number when all values are known you end up with:ln P = x, x being some valueso to find P you now have to:e^x = PI now the units turn out to be Pa as its pressure but how to prove it!CheersIn summary, when logs are involved the units of measure would be dimensionless except if the units
gtbiyb
Hi,

What happens when, following a numerical calculation, you have to prove the units but the equation has logs?

For example:

ln P = (ln z1 - ln z2)/(z1 - z2)

So as the RHS will simplify to a number when all values are known you end up with:

ln P = x, x being some value

so to find P you now have to:

e^x = P

I now the units turn out to be Pa as its pressure but how to prove it!

Cheers

Matt

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
when logs are involved the units of measure would be dimensionless except if the units of measure were based on a log definition like decibels.

A similar example would be using radian measure in trig functions what's the unit of measure of sin(alpha) as in the equation:

(length of hypotenus in meters)*sin(alpha) = (length of opposite side in meters)

sin(alpha) its dimensionless right?

Last edited:
Yeah i see that thanks, i have also just read that in e^x the x has to be dimesionless. But my answer should be a pressure in Pa! I transposed a formula to get that above but am confident its valid.

Your original equation looks a bit strange to me, where did it come from?
If you rearrange it I get...
lnP = (lnz1 - lnz2)/z1 - z2
i.e lnP = ln(z1/z2)/(z1-z2)
i.e (z1-z2)lnP = ln(z1/z2)
i.e P ^(z1-z2) = z1-z2

Is this what you started with ?

Revise the way you have obtained your formula. May be you solved a diff. equation, and a constant has been lost?

Thanks guys,

So i have put thought into this in general but in other situations the units cancel as the log is taken of a ratio but in this case i have basically a simultaneous equation:

P(z1)=P(0)e(-z1/λ)
and
P(z2)=P(0)e(-z2/λ)

I know P(z1), P(z2), z1 and z2

I want to know P(0) So i transpose both to eliminate λ thus:

ln P(z1) - ln (P(0)) = -z1

so

λ= -z1/ln P(z1) - ln (P(0))

Therefore:

z1/(ln P(z1) - ln (P(0)))=z2/(ln P(z2) - ln (P(0)))

Simplifying to get:

(z2ln P(z1)-z1ln P(z2)/(z2-z1)=ln (P(0))

What do you think?

I can see the original equation i put down was wrong as i was doing it from memory and it was the general theory i was after! The above is correct though.

Matt

Anyone got any advice on this?

gtbiyb said:
Anyone got any advice on this?

I think we already answered your question. You can't do units math when log and trig funcs are used. The exception being when a measurement is log based such as decibels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibels

But what do you do then to prove the units in the example i gave, I'm sure my transposition is correct.

gtbiyb said:
But what do you do then to prove the units in the example i gave, I'm sure my transposition is correct.

do the units work out when you treat the log funcs as dimensionless?

also you could be missing a constant that provides some additional units for cancelling out

like the G in the classical Gm1m2/r^2 gravity formula the result is the force so the G must have units
that cancel out so the resultant answer is in Newtons.

Last edited:
Gtbiyb, though ln(P) looks unaccustomed for me, I think you are right, and the formula can be applied for calculations. Both of its parts has the same dimension. If one applies exp to the both of the parts of the formula it will be obtained P0=P(z1)^(z2/(z2-z1))/P(z2)^( (z1/(z2-z1)). I’m not sure it is a better form.

FAQ: How to prove units when you have logs in an equation

1. How do you handle units in an equation that involves logarithms?

When dealing with units in equations that involve logarithms, it is important to remember that logarithms do not have units. Therefore, the units of the final answer will be determined by the units of the other terms in the equation.

2. What is the process for proving units in an equation with logarithms?

The first step in proving units in an equation with logarithms is to determine the units of each term in the equation. Then, substitute the units into the equation and simplify. Finally, check that the units of the final answer match the expected units.

3. Can you provide an example of proving units in an equation with logarithms?

Sure, let's say we have the equation log(x) = 2 m/s. We know that the units of log(x) are unitless, so we can substitute "unitless" for log(x) in the equation. This gives us the equation "unitless" = 2 m/s. Since the units on the left and right side do not match, we know that this equation is not consistent and cannot be solved.

4. What if there are multiple logarithms in the equation?

If there are multiple logarithms in the equation, the same process applies. Simply determine the units of each term, substitute them into the equation, and simplify. It may be helpful to use a calculator or computer program to assist with the calculations.

5. Are there any special cases to consider when proving units in an equation with logarithms?

One special case to consider is when the logarithm is raised to a power. In this case, the units of the final answer will be determined by the power and the units of the other terms in the equation. It is also important to ensure that the units of the final answer make sense in the context of the problem.