How to rewrite the provided sum in another form?

• Thread starter needingtoknow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form Sum
In summary, the two given expressions are equivalent and can be transformed using the product to sum formulas found on sites such as sosmath.com. These formulas allow for the conversion from the first expression of the sum of 2(cos((3pi)/(2^(k+1)))sin(pi/(2^(k+1)))) from k = 1 to infinity to the second expression of the sum of sin((4pi)/(2^(k+1))) - sin((2pi)/(2^(k+1))) from k = 1 to infinity.
needingtoknow

Homework Statement

How to get from

Sum of 2(cos((3pi)/(2^(k+1)))sin(pi/(2^(k+1)))) from k = 1 to infinity

to

Sum of sin((4pi)/(2^(k+1))) - sin((2pi)/(2^(k+1))) from k = 1 to infinity

The two expressions are equivalent. I need help getting from the first expression to the second.

Physics news on Phys.org
needingtoknow said:

Homework Statement

How to get from

Sum of 2(cos((3pi)/(2^(k+1)))sin(pi/(2^(k+1)))) from k = 1 to infinity

to

Sum of sin((4pi)/(2^(k+1))) - sin((2pi)/(2^(k+1))) from k = 1 to infinity

The two expressions are equivalent. I need help getting from the first expression to the second.

Your posts would be much easier to read if you would learn to use tex. I'm guessing you need the product to sum formulas:

http://www.sosmath.com/trig/prodform/prodform.html

FAQ: How to rewrite the provided sum in another form?

1. What is the purpose of rewriting a sum in another form?

The purpose of rewriting a sum in another form is to simplify or manipulate the expression in order to better understand or solve the problem at hand. It can also help to identify patterns or relationships between the terms in the sum.

2. How do I know which form to rewrite the sum in?

The form that you choose to rewrite the sum in depends on the specific problem and what you are trying to achieve. Some common forms include factoring, expanding, and simplifying using algebraic properties.

3. Can I rewrite a sum in multiple forms?

Yes, it is often helpful to rewrite a sum in multiple forms in order to fully understand and solve the problem. However, it is important to make sure that the different forms are equivalent to ensure accuracy in your solution.

4. Is there a specific order or method for rewriting a sum in another form?

There is no one specific method for rewriting a sum in another form, as it will vary depending on the problem. However, it is helpful to follow the order of operations and use algebraic rules and principles to guide your process.

5. Are there any tips for effectively rewriting a sum in another form?

Some tips for effectively rewriting a sum in another form include identifying and factoring out common factors, using the distributive property, and simplifying by combining like terms. It is also important to check your work and make sure all forms are equivalent.

Back