How to Run OpenGEM from the Command Prompt in FreeDOS?

• Thread starter whig4life
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to run OpenGEM or Gem from the command prompt in FreeDOS. They are asking for someone to provide the specific commands to use and mentioning the possibility of reaching out to a forum or website for more information.
whig4life
Does anyone know how to run OpenGEM or Gem from the command prompt in FreeDOS?

It would be great if someone could spell out which commands to use, and I will post if I run into any roadblocks.

W

Technology news on Phys.org
Assuming you have a directory with OpenGEM or GEM, look for something like GEM.EXE. If it has optional parameters, try something like GEM /? or GEM /help. You can browse this website for more info which doesn't have much, but maybe you can search for an opengem / freegem forum or email one of the guys at the web site.

http://www.deltasoft.com

FAQ: How to Run OpenGEM from the Command Prompt in FreeDOS?

1. How do I install OpenGEM on FreeDOS?

To install OpenGEM on FreeDOS, you will need to download the latest version of FreeDOS and the OpenGEM installation files. Once downloaded, follow the instructions provided by the OpenGEM developer to install the software on your system. You may also need to configure your system to boot into FreeDOS before the installation process.

2. Can I use OpenGEM on modern hardware?

Yes, OpenGEM is compatible with modern hardware, as long as your system meets the minimum system requirements. These requirements include a 386 processor or higher, 4MB of RAM, and a VGA graphics card. Some advanced features may require a higher processor and more RAM.

3. What are the advantages of using OpenGEM on FreeDOS?

OpenGEM provides a user-friendly graphical interface for FreeDOS, making it easier for users to navigate and use the operating system. It also offers a wide range of customizable features and tools, making it a powerful and versatile option for both beginners and advanced users.

4. Can I run Windows programs on OpenGEM in FreeDOS?

No, OpenGEM is not compatible with Windows programs. It is designed to work with FreeDOS, which is a free and open-source operating system that is not compatible with Windows. However, there are other options available for running Windows programs on FreeDOS, such as using a virtual machine or compatibility software.

5. Is OpenGEM in FreeDOS free to use?

Yes, both OpenGEM and FreeDOS are free to use and open-source software. This means that you can download, install, and use them without any cost. However, donations to support the development of these projects are always appreciated.