How to sample subspaces uniformly

• Thread starter wdlang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subspaces
In summary: If the latter, there must be a natural choice, given a fixed basis for the big space. Say we're looking at a random N-dimensional subspace of \mathbb C^M (the latter with its standard basis). Let \mathcal U(M) denote the space of unitary M\times M matrices. There's a very natural probability measure on \mathcal U(M), called the Haar measure \mu. I would think of a "uniformly chosen N-dimensional subspace" as picking a random U\in \mathcal U(M) via \mu and then picking the span of the first N columns of U.
wdlang
i need to sample the N-dimensional subspaces of a M-dimensional linear space over C uniformly.

That is, all subspaces are sampled with equal probability

how should i do it?

would this work? First generate a M*N matrix, the real and imaginary parts of each element is sampled from the normal distribution. Then by using QR decomposition, i can get N orthonormal vectors, which span a N-dimensional subspace. Take it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you looking for something reasonably "uniform" that you can put into a computer, or are you looking for a distribution that feels somehow natural?

If the former, I have no idea, and other people may have better ideas.

If the latter, there must be a natural choice, given a fixed basis for the big space. Say we're looking at a random [itex]N[/itex]-dimensional subspace of [itex]\mathbb C^M[/itex] (the latter with its standard basis). Let [itex]\mathcal U(M)[/itex] denote the space of unitary [itex]M\times M[/itex] matrices. There's a very natural probability measure on [itex]\mathcal U(M)[/itex], called the Haar measure [itex]\mu[/itex]. I would think of a "uniformly chosen [itex]N[/itex]-dimensional subspace" as picking a random [itex]U\in \mathcal U(M)[/itex] via [itex]\mu[/itex] and then picking the span of the first [itex]N[/itex] columns of [itex]U[/itex].

*[It has the property that for any collection [itex]\mathcal S \subseteq \mathcal U(M)[/itex] of matrices with defined probability, and any matrix [itex]U\in \mathcal U(M)[/itex], we have [itex]\mu(U\mathcal S)= \mu(\mathcal S)[/itex]. Moreover, [itex]\mu[/itex] is unique in satisfying this property.]

Likes 1 person
economicsnerd said:
Are you looking for something reasonably "uniform" that you can put into a computer, or are you looking for a distribution that feels somehow natural?

If the former, I have no idea, and other people may have better ideas.

If the latter, there must be a natural choice, given a fixed basis for the big space. Say we're looking at a random [itex]N[/itex]-dimensional subspace of [itex]\mathbb C^M[/itex] (the latter with its standard basis). Let [itex]\mathcal U(M)[/itex] denote the space of unitary [itex]M\times M[/itex] matrices. There's a very natural probability measure on [itex]\mathcal U(M)[/itex], called the Haar measure [itex]\mu[/itex]. I would think of a "uniformly chosen [itex]N[/itex]-dimensional subspace" as picking a random [itex]U\in \mathcal U(M)[/itex] via [itex]\mu[/itex] and then picking the span of the first [itex]N[/itex] columns of [itex]U[/itex].

*[It has the property that for any collection [itex]\mathcal S \subseteq \mathcal U(M)[/itex] of matrices with defined probability, and any matrix [itex]U\in \mathcal U(M)[/itex], we have [itex]\mu(U\mathcal S)= \mu(\mathcal S)[/itex]. Moreover, [itex]\mu[/itex] is unique in satisfying this property.]

i am actually looking for a numerical method.

my idea is the following. First generate a M*N matrix, the real and imaginary parts of each element of which are drawn independently from the normal distribution. Then do QR decomposition to get the N orthonormal basis vectors spanning the subspace.

i am not sure whether this is the right algorithm.

Related to How to sample subspaces uniformly

1. What does it mean to sample subspaces uniformly?

Sampling subspaces uniformly means randomly selecting subspaces from a larger space in a way that ensures every possible subspace has an equal chance of being selected. This is important when studying subspaces as it helps to avoid bias and ensure a representative sample.

2. Why is it important to sample subspaces uniformly in scientific research?

Sampling subspaces uniformly is important in scientific research because it helps to ensure that the results obtained are representative of the entire population of subspaces. This is crucial for drawing accurate conclusions and making generalizations from the sample to the larger population.

3. What methods can be used to sample subspaces uniformly?

There are several methods for sampling subspaces uniformly, including random sampling, systematic sampling, and stratified sampling. Random sampling involves selecting subspaces at random from the entire population, while systematic sampling involves selecting subspaces at regular intervals from a list. Stratified sampling divides the population into subgroups and then randomly samples from each subgroup.

4. How can sampling subspaces uniformly impact the results of a study?

If subspaces are not sampled uniformly, the results of a study may be biased and not accurately reflect the larger population. This can lead to incorrect conclusions and a lack of generalizability. By sampling subspaces uniformly, the results are more likely to be representative and valid.

5. Are there any limitations to sampling subspaces uniformly?

One limitation of sampling subspaces uniformly is that it can be time-consuming and resource-intensive, especially when the population of subspaces is large. Additionally, certain methods of sampling may not be feasible depending on the nature of the subspaces being studied. It is important to carefully consider the most appropriate method of sampling for the specific research question and population of subspaces.