How to Self Study Geometry. Part I: Pure Geometry - Comments

In summary, micromass submitted a new post on PF Insights discussing how to self-study geometry, specifically focusing on pure geometry. The post advises brainstorming each chapter and blocking out other thoughts, as well as asking questions, solving problems, and being patient. The post also includes a link to additional notes on teaching Euclid's first four books and connecting them to Archimedes' ideas.
micromass
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
micromass submitted a new PF Insights post

How to Self Study Geometry. Part I: Pure Geometry

geometry1-80x80.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
It's obvious that you lost yourself in it. Brain storm every chapter at first. 3 time brain storming will make things like water. And don't forget to block other thoughts during brainstorming. And more technically ask, question, solve and be patient. Hold and breathe and try to remember what you learned. Good luck...

THANK YOU ! I actually already began reading Euclid but I only completed the first five books.

When I taught the first 4 books of Euclid in a 2 week course I wrote some notes for the students. FWIW they are here:
http://alpha.math.uga.edu/~roy/camp2011/10.pdf

They end by showing how Euclid's ideas are advanced by Archimedes and give a derivation for the volume of a 4 dimensiopnal sphere in that spirit.

Related to How to Self Study Geometry. Part I: Pure Geometry - Comments

1. What is the best way to approach self-studying pure geometry?

The best way to approach self-studying pure geometry is to first familiarize yourself with the basic concepts and principles of geometry, such as points, lines, angles, and shapes. Then, gradually work your way up to more advanced topics, using resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems.

2. What are some recommended resources for self-studying geometry?

Some recommended resources for self-studying geometry include textbooks, online tutorials, practice problem sets, and interactive geometry software. It may also be helpful to join online communities or forums where you can ask questions and get support from other self-studying individuals.

3. How much time should I dedicate to self-studying geometry each day?

The amount of time you should dedicate to self-studying geometry each day will vary depending on your personal learning style and schedule. However, it is recommended to dedicate at least 1-2 hours each day to review and practice the concepts you have learned.

4. How important is it to have a strong foundation in algebra before studying pure geometry?

Having a strong foundation in algebra before studying pure geometry is highly recommended, as many concepts in geometry rely on algebraic principles. It is important to have a good understanding of equations, functions, and graphing in order to fully grasp geometric concepts.

5. How do I know if I am ready to move on to more advanced topics in pure geometry?

You will know you are ready to move on to more advanced topics in pure geometry when you have a solid understanding of the basic concepts and can solve problems confidently. It is also important to regularly review and practice previously learned topics to ensure a strong foundation before moving on.