How to Show Inner Products in Quantum Mechanics Using Fourier Transforms?

In summary, using the delta function, we can show that (\psi_1, \psi_2)=\int dk \phi_1^*(k) \phi_2(k) by performing one of the integrations and using the property \psi(x)= \int dx' \psi(x') \delta(x-x').
v_pino

Homework Statement

Given [tex] (\psi_1, \psi_2)=\int dx \psi_1^*(x) \psi_2(x) [/tex], show [tex] (\psi_1, \psi_2)=\int dk \phi_1^*(k) \phi_2(k) [/tex], where [tex] \phi_{1,2}(k)= \int dx \psi_k^*(x) \psi_{1,2}(x) [/tex] and [tex] psi_k(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} e^{ikx} [/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex] \psi (x)= \int dk \phi(k) \psi_k(x) [/tex]

[tex] \psi(x)=\int dk \phi(k) \psi_k(x) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] (\psi_1 , \psi_2)= \int dx \left \{ \int dk \phi_1^*(k) \psi_k^*(x) \right \}\left \{ \int dk \phi_2(k) \psi_k(x) \right \} [/tex]

[tex] =\int dx \left \{ \int dk \phi_1^*(k) \frac{1}{\sqrt {2 \pi}}e^{-ikx} \int dk \phi_2(k) \frac{1}{\sqrt {2 \pi}}e^{ikx} \right \} [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1}{2 \pi}\int dx \left \{ \int dk \phi_1^*(k) \int dk \phi_2(k) \right \} [/tex]

Is this correct so far? How do I proceed from here? It looks like a Fourier Transform with the 1/2pi. And I have two integrals within another one for the dx. Can I separate them some how?

Physics news on Phys.org
When you substitute in the integrals for [itex]\psi_1^*(x)[/itex] and [itex]\psi_2(x)[/itex], the [itex]k[/itex] in one integral isn't the same variable as the [itex]k[/itex] in the other integral. If you use the same variable for both, you're almost certainly going to confuse yourself. In this case, you can't cancel out the [itex]e^{-ikx}[/itex] factor from one integral with [itex]e^{ikx}[/itex] from the other.

[tex] =\int dx \left \{ \int dk_1 \phi_1^*(k_1) \frac{1}{\sqrt {2 \pi}}e^{-ik_1x} \int dk_2 \phi_2(k_2) \frac{1}{\sqrt {2 \pi}}e^{ik_2x} \right \} [/tex]

I have revised my equation above. But now that the exponents don't cancel, how should I proceed with this?

You want to use the fact that [tex]\delta(k_1-k_2) = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{i(k_1-k_2)x}\,dx[/tex]

[tex] (\psi_1, \psi_2)=\delta(k_2-k_1) \int dk_1 \phi_1^*(k_1) \int dk_2 \phi_2(k_2) [/tex]

Is the delta function equal to 1 in this case? And has the equation given in the problem [tex] (\psi_1, \psi_2)=\int dk \phi_1^*(k) \phi_2(k) [/tex] combined k_1 and k_2?

The delta function depends on k1 and k2. You can't just pull it out front like that.

By using the delta function, you can perform one of the integrations. I suggest you read about the delta function to see how that works.

I obtained [tex] (\psi_1, \psi_2)=\int dk_2 \phi_2(k_2) \int dk_1 \phi_1^*(k_1) \delta(k_2-k_1) = \int dk_2 \phi_2(k_2) \phi_1^* (k_2) [/tex] by using [tex] \psi(x)= \int dx' \psi(x') \delta(x-x') [/tex]

Is it correct? Thanks for the help once again.

Yes, that's correct.

Related to How to Show Inner Products in Quantum Mechanics Using Fourier Transforms?

1. What are inner products in quantum mechanics?

Inner products in quantum mechanics are mathematical operations that are used to calculate the overlap between two quantum states. This overlap is used to determine the probability of a quantum state transitioning into another state.

2. Why are inner products important in quantum mechanics?

Inner products are important in quantum mechanics because they allow us to calculate the probability of a quantum system transitioning into another state. This is essential for understanding the behavior of quantum particles and predicting their outcomes.

3. How do you calculate inner products in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, inner products are calculated by taking the complex conjugate of the first state and multiplying it by the second state. This is then integrated over all possible values of the quantum variables.

4. Can inner products be negative in quantum mechanics?

Yes, inner products can be negative in quantum mechanics. This is because they involve complex numbers and the complex conjugate operation can result in a negative value. However, the overall probability of a quantum state is always positive.

5. What is the significance of the inner product being zero in quantum mechanics?

When the inner product between two quantum states is zero, it means that these states are orthogonal to each other. This is significant because it indicates that there is no overlap between the two states, and they are therefore independent of each other.