How to Show \(\psi_{i}\ket{\xi} = \xi_{i}\ket{\xi}\)?

thatboi
I came across the following formula (2.68) in di Francesco's CFT book for a fermionic coherent state:
$$\ket{\xi} = e^{\psi^{\dagger}T\xi}\ket{0}$$
where##\ket{\xi} = \ket{\xi_{1},...,\xi_{n}}##, ##\xi_{i}## is a Grassman number, ##T## is some invertible matrix, and ##\psi^{\dagger}## is the fermion creation operator. I want to show that $$\psi_{i}\ket{\xi} = \xi_{i}\ket{\xi}$$ and am struggling to do so. I tried considering just the simplest case where ##T## is a 2x2 matrix. Then we would have (take ##i=1## as an example):
$$\psi_{1}\ket{\xi} =\left(1+T_{2,1}\xi_{1}\psi^{\dagger}_{2}\right)\left(1+T_{2,2}\xi_{2}\psi^{\dagger}_{2}\right) \psi_{1}\left(1+T_{1,1}\xi_{1}\psi^{\dagger}_{1}\right)\left(1+T_{1,2}\xi_{2}\psi^{\dagger}_{1}\right)\ket{0}$$
where I have used the fact that ##e^{\eta} = 1+\eta## for ##\eta## a Grassman number. Further expanding then gives:
$$\psi_{1}\left(1+T_{1,1}\xi_{1}\psi^{\dagger}_{1} + T_{1,2}\xi_{2}\psi^{\dagger}_{1} + T_{1,1}T_{1,2}\xi_{1}\xi_{2}\psi^{\dagger}_{1}\psi^{\dagger}_{1}\right)\ket{0}$$
Now the last term is automatically ##0## by Pauli exclusion, so passing the ##\psi_{1}## through results in:
$$\left(-T_{1,1}\xi_{1}-T_{1,2}\xi_{2}\right)\ket{0}$$
where the additional minus sign is because ##\{\psi,\xi\}=0##.
I am not sure how to proceed from here. Any advice appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You missed one minus sign in the third equation, so your final equation should have plus signs instead of the minus ones. To proceed, now compute ##\xi_1|\xi\rangle## in a similar way.

Demystifier said:
You missed one minus sign in the third equation, so your final equation should have plus signs instead of the minus ones. To proceed, now compute ##\xi_1|\xi\rangle## in a similar way.
Do you mean when I pass the ##\psi_{1}## through the ##\psi^{\dagger}_{2}## terms? I don't see why a minus sign would be picked up (##\psi^{\dagger}_{1}## should commute with both ##\xi_{1}\psi^{\dagger}_{2}## and ##\xi_{2}\psi^{\dagger}_{2}##).

Last edited:
thatboi said:
I don't see why a minus sign would be picked up (##\psi^{\dagger}_{1}## should commute with both ##\xi_{1}\psi^{\dagger}_{2}## and ##\xi_{2}\psi^{\dagger}_{2}##).
You are right, my bad. :bow:

Demystifier said:
You are right, my bad. :bow:
Haha no worries, I can't edit the original post now, so I'll proceed based off what you said, it's a bit of a mess so let me know if you see anything suspicious.
$$\begin{equation}
\begin{split}
\xi_{1}\ket{\xi} &= \xi_{1}\left(1+T_{2,1}\xi_{1}\psi^{\dagger}_{2}\right)\left(1+T_{2,2}\xi_{2}\psi^{\dagger}_{2}\right) \left(1+T_{1,1}\xi_{1}\psi^{\dagger}_{1}\right)\left(1+T_{1,2}\xi_{2}\psi^{\dagger}_{1}\right)\ket{0}\\
&= \xi_{1}\left(1+T_{2,1}\xi_{1}\psi^{\dagger}_{2} + T_{2,2}\xi_{2}\psi^{\dagger}_{2}\right)\left(1+T_{1,1}\xi_{1}\psi^{\dagger}_{1}+T_{1,2}\xi_{2}\psi^{\dagger}_{1}\right)\ket{0}\\
&= \left(\xi_{1}+T_{2,2}\xi_{1}\xi_{2}\psi^{\dagger}_{2}\right)\left(1+T_{1,1}\xi_{1}\psi^{\dagger}_{1}+T_{1,2}\xi_{2}\psi^{\dagger}_{1}\right)\ket{0}\\
&=\left(\xi_{1}+T_{1,2}\xi_{1}\xi_{2}\psi^{\dagger}_{1} + T_{2,2}\xi_{1}\xi_{2}\psi^{\dagger}_{2}\right)\ket{0}
\end{split}
\end{equation}$$
In the second line I dropped the ##\psi^{\dagger}_{i}\psi^{\dagger}_{i}## terms due to Pauli exclusion again.
This still doesn't really look like what I had in my original post so I'm stuck.